in line skimmer

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
what are some issues for running a skimmer in line from the overflow instead of having a second pump power just the skimmer? I know some skimmers can do it, just would I loose consistency or quality?

Some skimmers cant handle how much you're throwing at it from an overflow. Most people only throw 1.5-2X's their water volume.....unless they have a huge skimmer or its a beckett. I know on my 140 I have a MJ1200 going into my skimmer. Any more and I feel the skimmer becomes inefficient.

I think it works great, provided you have the right setup and skimmer. my tank has two 1.5" overflows, and one of them goes directly to the skimmer with an upside-down "Y" running off to the sump above a ball valve. This way, I can control the flow to the skimmer, and the extra water runs off to the sump instead of creating an imbalance between the two overflows. I have no problems with inconsistency of flow at all. The skimmer is an external recirculating needlewheel-type skimmer, just like an H&S or Deltec, and I can control the height of the water in the skimmer with a ballvalve on the output side.

Back