initial setup; circulation volume and powerhead opinion

kkcrowe

Market
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am in the beginning stages of setting up my 180 gallon reef tank (6x2x2). Like, really early stages. I have acquired most of my gear and the tank is having overflows installed now, as this was bought from a freshwater enthusiast. Plan is to have everything up and running and begin cycling in a month or so.

Powerheads for the appropriate circulation are some the last pieces of gear that I need. I have read that most reef keepers are recommended to have 20 + times their tanks volume moved per hour. For a mixed reef tank, how much would begin to seem overkill? I know you can't just blast laminar flow and shred your corals, but if you can achieve good non-laminar flow, what is reasonable? I know wetwetmedia says there is no such thing as too much water movement.

I think I have narrowed down to Tunze Turbelles or Hydor Korailas, but am open for other suggestions. Here is kind what I am thinking...

If I went with Hydor's...

3 Hydor Koralia Magnums (1,650 gph each), 2 positioned at opposing corners and facing each other, with the 3rd coming in from another corner, all meeting in the middle to give a good, disrupted flow. That would make around 5,000 gph for a 180g, or ~ 28x turnover hourly. Seem reasonable? I could go up or down if needed.

Also, I have read a lot of positives regarding the Tunze Turbelle Powerheads. I don't have a problem getting these but they may burn a small hole in my wallet.

So, any opinions on the following would be greatly appreciated;
1) The above Hydor setup
2) Recommendations on powerheads (Hydor, Tunze, etc.)
3) What flow other reefers use in gallons per hour for their tank volume
4) Without using a wavemaker, what setups other ARC's use to achieve their water movement. Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin, you will get numerous opinions on what is right so just use each as an idea for you to think over. I have the same tank. I have 3 Koralia 3's positioned along the back wall evenly spaced. I have two Tunze 6105 controllables, both on the same end but on different sides blowing in the long direction so the flow meets at the far end. In other words, both blowing left to right but one on the front side and one on the back side of the tank. I feel this is plenty of flow and everybody/everything seems happy.

Thanks, holabird. I appreciate the feedback. A quick question; are your three Koralia 3's (on the back wall) pointed the same direction as the Tunze, opposite direction, or straight forward? I've heard having the flows converge on each other provides best results, and am curious if something different has worked well for you. Thanks again,

Kevin

You'll find that Vortech pumps have a huge following... some people think it's a status symbol, but that's fine. They are really outstanding pumps (and there is no electrically live part inside the water). I think the K magnums will do fine... though I might be inclined to use four powerheads rather than three, even if that meant they were smaller ones. The reason I say this is that you are dealing with 6 feet of back panel, and two would serve you better than one on a span that long IMO. Maybe 4 K-Evo 1400s on an inexpensive wavemaker. Of course, if your budget allows, you will be glad you went with the Tunzes I'm sure.

I'd shoot for a return pump that did 1500-1800 gph AFTER you subtract for head loss.

They are against the back wall pointing forward which is 90 degrees from the tunzes. I just figure that disturbs the linear flow.

kkcrowe;740825 wrote: Thanks, holabird. I appreciate the feedback. A quick question; are your three Koralia 3's (on the back wall) pointed the same direction as the Tunze, opposite direction, or straight forward? I've heard having the flows converge on each other provides best results, and am curious if something different has worked well for you. Thanks again,

Kevin

cr500_af;740937 wrote: You'll find that Vortech pumps have a huge following... some people think it's a status symbol, but that's fine. They are really outstanding pumps (and there is no electrically live part inside the water). I think the K magnums will do fine... though I might be inclined to use four powerheads rather than three, even if that meant they were smaller ones. The reason I say this is that you are dealing with 6 feet of back panel, and two would serve you better than one on a span that long IMO. Maybe 4 K-Evo 1400s on an inexpensive wavemaker. Of course, if your budget allows, you will be glad you went with the Tunzes I'm sure.

I'd shoot for a return pump that did 1500-1800 gph AFTER you subtract for head loss.

Thanks, cr500. I appreciate your feedback. I'll look into the Vortech pumps. I've heard the name, but don't personally know much about them.

One last question on positioning. If I did go with four, would you recommend 2 each in opposing corners, 2 on one side panel w/ 2 coming in straight from back panel, or something different? I know I want to avoid a strong linear flow, and am wanting to do that while still moving the necessary volume across the 6-foot length. Thanks again,

Kevin

Edit:
holabird;740977 wrote: They are against the back wall pointing forward which is 90 degrees from the tunzes. I just figure that disturbs the linear flow.

Thanks, Holabird.

I responded to your PM with more details about what I am describing. There is no one right answer, and I think even just one on each end (as you described originally) would do a good job. Oh, and forget the remark about 6 pumps; I misread your post the first time.
As for positioning, I would (again, just me) put them symetrically (one on each end, two on the back about 1/3 and 2/3 of the way along) and then play with the aiming. You'll end up having to tinker with the aiming to keep your sand in place anyway.

Back