Innovative marine vs Red Sea -need advice

Technolo

Reaction score
I’m relatively new to this forum And aquariums in general and aquariums in general but I could really use some advice from the more knowledgeable on this site than me. I’ve been researching fish only and reef ready options for a saltwater aquarium. I have been looking at the red sea refers and the innovative marine internal set ups. I plan on buying a tank between 80 and 150 gallons. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. I’ve heard good and bad about these brands.

Both are reputable brands. Red Sea is generally more expensive and offers a more plug and play type setup. And while Red Sea is more expensive, most buyers agree that the price is worth it. I love IM tanks and have 2 of them. They're sturdy and have a very nice look to them. Both brands have low failure rates for their tanks. I believe Red Sea had the 750xl that was prone to failure, but the rest of their tanks are top notch.

If you have any specific questions, it might make it easier for us to help you.

I have two IM tanks, both smaller than what you are looking at. A 50 EXT display & a 25 Lagoon EXT as a coral frag tank. Both tanks are connected to the same sump.

Reasons that I bought them-
-appearance/beauty
-low iron glass
-quality/reputation
-value

Dislikes (more like annoyances) -
-additional black plastic across inside glass at back of tank. It makes the back a little too thick to use MP10 Vortech powerheads on the 50 gal. So went with an MP40 instead.
-EXT overflows protrude and you have to be careful when handling/moving the tank. The good thing is they don’t take up space inside the tanks.

I have owned numerous brands of aquariums over the years & believe you will be happy with either brand. These IM’s are the most well built & best looking aquariums I have ever owned, including custom built ones.

Go for the brand that best offers the features that are important to you. Make a list & then compare, it may surprise you.

Go for the brand that best offers the features that are important to you. Make a list & then compare, it may surprise you.

I'm going to second ichthyoid's comments right there. Both are outstanding options with really great reputations. ( Been a big fan and customer of RedSea myself. ) The difference in quality between the 2 is likely negligible. Go with the features that matter to you. Good luck !

Back