Inspection Please

cameron

Market
Reaction score
I just purchased another tank and was hoping some people here would take a look at the pictures and see if anything was off before I shell out the cash. I know you can't tell a lot from the pics, but any input would be appreciated.

MyTank018.jpg
alt="" />

MyTank019.jpg
alt="" />

MyTank020.jpg
alt="" />

MyTank021.jpg
alt="" />

I you can't see the above images try:

MyTank018.jpg
>http://www.cameroncole.com/digital/MyTank018.jpg</a>
MyTank019.jpg
>http://www.cameroncole.com/digital/MyTank019.jpg</a>
MyTank020.jpg
>http://www.cameroncole.com/digital/MyTank020.jpg</a>
MyTank021.jpg
>http://www.cameroncole.com/digital/MyTank021.jpg</a>

HUGE Thanks in advance.

nice tank...... ick on the purple tang??? and some bubble algae apart from that it looks good.just question lighting because the acros are so brown,,,maybe time for an upgrade or replacement in bulbs???? my 2 cents worth...

Thanks for the quick look. This is a quote from the person I am buying it from:
<span style="font-family: Arial;">I am currently running 10K Halides with actinics, but I also have played around with some 20K and 14K bulbs(which are included with purchase). I also have a set of brand new actinics(included). I do not run my Halides 10-12 hours like some folks, but cut the time down to about 7 hours daily, and the corals have continued to grow.</span><span style="font-family: Verdana;">
Aquarium includes 2 250W Retro MH with Actinics. </span>

I hadn't planned on getting into corals so quickly, but I ran across a pretty good deal for a full sized setup with 150lbs of live rock along with some top end equipment and I jumped. Just want to make sure I am not getting more than I bargained for.

I think the "ich" on the tang is spots on the pictures and/or on the tank wall. Notice there's alot of those tube worms on the wall in the 2nd and 4th pics or perhaps it's the beginnings of coraline.

If he's got 250w 10K's it's going to wash out anything but T5 actinics on alot of those corals. I'd put the 14K bulbs in after setup.

Very nice tank though. You're in for some tough moving of some delicate corals, though. Lots of containers and super-size ziploc bags.

I like the tank. Might want to take the clown of the wall I think they ate the seaweed of him already! jk I like it alot!

I am affraid I am going to lose some livestock, but it is a risk that has to be done and fortunately it won't sting my wallet. I wish I was more experienced before trying this. In some regards, buying versus building is a good thing, but I am jumping way ahead of my reading and way way way ahead of any practical experience. I may end up hiring someone to help me with the move that is more experienced or at least bribing them with aquarium supplies and food. I grill a mean pork chop.

George wrote: I think the "ich" on the tang is spots on the pictures and/or on the tank wall.
I think you are correct as the white spots move in each picture.

George wrote: Notice there's alot of those tube worms on the wall in the 2nd and 4th pics or perhaps it's the beginnings of coraline.
Assuming its not coraline, should I just scrape them off with an algae brush?

George wrote: If he's got 250w 10K's it's going to wash out anything but T5 actinics on alot of those corals. I'd put the 14K bulbs in after setup.
I will give it a shot. Initially, they will be under a 2x96watt 10k and 2x96 ats until I can move his lighting setup over to my larger aquarium. Would it make sense to keep my current lighting setup and move part or all of his?

George wrote: Very nice tank though. You're in for some tough moving of some delicate corals, though. Lots of containers and super-size ziploc bags.
I was going to take a horde of rubbermaid containers and buckets. Put each corals attached to a live rock in a bucket with the rock... and drive very... very... carefully. Any trick I might use to help me with this?

Thanks again everyone for the helpful comments.

Maroons15 wrote: I love the clam!!
The clam was a huge suprise. The guy said he had a Derasa, but this thing is huge at least from what I have seen at my LFS. That is a 90 gallon tank so it is at least a good sized clam.

Did someone said pork chop?

Make it weeken and throw in some frag that may have broken off doring the move and you got a helper here :D

I am sure more will be willing to help out if you can plain it ahead of time and you can count me in if you do it in the weeken.

WOLFIE wrote: Did someone said pork chop?

Make it weeken and throw in some frag that may have broken off doring the move and you got a helper here :D

I am sure more will be willing to help out if you can plain it ahead of time and you can count me in if you do it in the weeken.

It will probably be the weekend of the 27th and 28th. I will let you know more as we dial in the time and date. It is a drive of sorts since the tank is near Macon and I live in Alpharetta so that might scare you off. I will be renting a Ryder to get everything and his tank is going into my larger 125 gallon currently empty tank.

Be aware that you'll definitely get some dieoff from the rocks when moving everything. If you try to move everything, including corals the same day, you'll guarantee dieoff. If you want to try to save some corals, you could either setup a separate holding bucket (and do very frequent water changes - 20% per day or something) or find someone to hold them for a while for you.

mojo wrote: Be aware that you'll definitely get some dieoff from the rocks when moving everything. If you try to move everything, including corals the same day, you'll guarantee dieoff. If you want to try to save some corals, you could either setup a separate holding bucket (and do very frequent water changes - 20% per day or something) or find someone to hold them for a while for you.

Here is/was my basic plan. If this won't work, best to know now so I can make other arrangements. Thanks for the input.

At home cycle a full load of water in my aquarium and make sure all the params are good. Aquarium will have about a 2" sand bed with bare areas for the rock to sit. Before I leave drain half the water with some in a storage containter to be taken with us keeping heaters and airstones going in the water.

Leave for his house... two hours later.

First shut off his aquarium, and fill six buckets with water from his tank. Mix in some Amquel+ in each bucket. Net the fish and group them with the Tang in one bucket, the clowns in another, hawkfish in one, gramma in another, goby in another, the inverts and finally the clam. Place these buckets in one large tub.

Second fill a bucket 1/3 way with water brought and a bit of Amquel+. Use a zip lock bag to net the coral, the rock it is attached to and a bag full of water. Place the coral in the bucket. Do this for each coral one in each bucket. Place these buckets in another large tub.

Third fill a large tub with 1/3 my water and 1/2 his water and some Amquel+. Use the same zip lock technique to grab all the live rock and place into the tub. Grab a bag full of sand to put in with the live rock. Throw out the rest of the sand.

Drain and load the equipment on the truck. Drive 2 hours back to Alpharetta. During the trip use battery operated airstones move the airstones around to circulate the water. Measure temp in each bucket periodically and place heaters where needed.

When I get home, drain water from the rock tub into the main tank. Place rock into the main tank and arrange. Crank up the tank for cycling. Measure the params about an hour later. If all is reasonable, put the fish in then the corals.

The plan is about the best you can do without a seperate tank. Just expect that some SPS will die. Even the best laid plans and people lose some acros when they move!

I figured on some livestock death. If I lost every coral, it would suck but the deal would still be good.

NAt a bad plan. I have a feeling you will experience less die-off then you think. I moved a 300 Gallon from Kalamazoo, MI to Atlanta doing just about what you are doing. Believe it or not, all but one fish made it. The airstones and heat in the buckets are key to sucess.

FYI: If you need someone to unload the rest of that sand to, I am willing. ;) I was fixing to buy some in a bit.

The new plan is similar to the plan above only it uses cheap styrofoam coolers lined with trashbags and hand heater packs under the trashbag. I am calling around to various fish stores to see what containers they have. Thanks to some very helpful hobbyist with the new cooler plan.

I am beginning to think I will have less die off as well. People ship these things overnight and next day with little problem and I will be using about half the tanks original water. Some stuff probably won't make it, but I was starting to worry very little would.

I will see what I can do on the sand. I already have a ton in my garage that is fresh and new. I figured with the stress already on the livestock stirirng up the sand and putting that in my tank was a bad idea. I can probably bag it up, throw it in a cooler as well. You would have to stop by and get it, but I don't see it being a problem. Not sure I will get it all, but he does have about 100lbs.

Good luck with the move, Cameron. I recently moved a 72 gallon bowfront tank. It only had a couple corals, but I didn't have any losses- it helps to move as much water as you can! It just took me about 3 times longer than I thought it would.

Here is my personal tank beofre I moved it its a 140.
tank04.jpg
alt="" />
Here it is after the move:
P1010024small.jpg
alt="" />
I did loose some fish but that was in part to when we moved in the house was below 30 degrees and the gas man never turned on the gas. It was February last year.
I also just moved this tank and am going to be moving it again in June its a 90

CarolnKatie02.jpg
alt="" />

Back