Interest on Group Buy Filter socks?

I think there is a minimum order of like 25 socks, but you shouldn't have any problems meeting that.

Just an FYI-who knows what type of felt the felt type socks are made of? It is polypropylene.
Dave

I'm not sure how that's a bad thing. I'm also fairly sure mine say they're made of 100% polyester aka polyethelyne.

Didn't say it was a bad thing. Filterbag.com's felt aquarium socks are polypropylene. Other brands could be made out of other materials.

a>

Gotcha, no worries. The way you stated it made me think it had to be a bad thing :). I read too much into it, whoops.

Actually, I posted it because I was surprised it was a synthetic. For some reason I had it in my head that felt filter socks were made out of something like cotton.

Ahhh. Is that why you always bleached yours? Yah they're always synthetic so they don't break down in the tank. I don't bleach them but I do run them in the washing machine a few times each with secondary rinse. Since I have 5 of em I do this every 3 weeks or so as they fill up every 4-5 days. In your opinion does the nylon mesh work as well as the thicker "felt" type? I keep thinking that the thicker one would be better at trapping stuff but I have no experience with both of em.

FutureInterest;279783 wrote: Ahhh. Is that why you always bleached yours? Yah they're always synthetic so they don't break down in the tank. I don't bleach them but I do run them in the washing machine a few times each with secondary rinse. Since I have 5 of em I do this every 3 weeks or so as they fill up every 4-5 days. In your opinion does the nylon mesh work as well as the thicker "felt" type? I keep thinking that the thicker one would be better at trapping stuff but I have no experience with both of em.

I bleached mine because I found that when I bleached them periodically, the filter bags went longer before clogging up. The dark color the bags assume without bleaching is stuff that did not come out, I assume which is still lodged in the bags. Bleach gets any residual stuff still in the felt bag pores out and lets them sit in the sump longer before the need rinsing again, I found.

I guess you need to decide what your comfort level is regarding felt vs nylon and how well they work. I haven't seen any difference in the filtering ability. I'm looking to trap anything larger than 200 micons. It seems to do its job. The ease of maintenance of the nylon mesh bags is incomparable, though. That is the main reason I use them. And even if they let a bit more fine particulates thru that were less than 200 microns, that is a minor sacrifice for the ease of cleaning they offer.

If I was concerned about letting mroe stuff thru, then I would probably switch from a 200 micron mesh to a 100 micron mesh, which would catch more stuff and need rinsing more often that the 200 micron, but would still be easier to clean than any felt bag out there.

Man, I've been busy....

I am gonna place an order for 50 mesh 200 micron 4 x 14 bags tomorrow. If you want some, please PM me with the amount you want. I may request for you to paypal me to cover the cost so I do not get stuck with 50 bags. I approximate the cost to be between 4 and 6 dollars each. Please understand that the company oes not provide exact shipping details until you order, but I will only charge exact cost (perhaps rounded for ease of calculation)

I will attemp to tally the folks who stated they wanted some in this thread, but I would still appreciate you to PM me to ensure me you have not changed your mind.

Ok, now my question, is there any harm in running a 4x14 bag instead of a 4x7? Part of the bag will sit on the bottom of the sump, and I can throw in a few pieces of live rubble to keep it from getting sucked in any pumps, any problem with that?

Porbably not, it will just collect poo as usual. The rock shouldnt hurt either.

I have not forgotten about you, though. I will ask about the smaller socks, but I have a feeling that it will be a minumum 25 order.

Well, I don't think I would need 25, I might could do 10 though if someone else needs them small as well.

au01st;281721 wrote: Ok, now my question, is there any harm in running a 4x14 bag instead of a 4x7? Part of the bag will sit on the bottom of the sump, and I can throw in a few pieces of live rubble to keep it from getting sucked in any pumps, any problem with that?

The larger the bag, the less often you'll have to clean it out, assuming it is not too long for your sump.

Back