intestinal worms or just fat? need Dr.! pics, too!

ralph atl

Market
Reaction score
intestinal worms or just fat?

So anyone knowledgeable on the subject, please opine.

My Halichoeres Melanurus has a very big gut! Is she fat & happy? or is it intestinal worms?

I went a head and treated tank with prazi anyway. She is exhibiting NO other symptoms whatsoever.

Thanks!
Ralph

not the best pics, of course she wouldn't cooperate!

Metronidazole will clean it out if it is worms.

Jenn

Thanks! I've already started treatment with prazipro, I just was worried cause she has a fat gut?

Well Metronidazole in food would be more direct.

The other possibility - albeit a remote one - is that it's a female that's egg-bound. Not sure what, if anything could be done about that.

Jenn

I don't know the gestation period, short I guess? No clue? Prazi is better than metro btw. Could it be that she is just fat and healthy? Or do u think something is up? From pics.
Thanks!

JennM;373919 wrote: Well Metronidazole in food would be more direct.

The other possibility - albeit a remote one - is that it's a female that's egg-bound. Not sure what, if anything could be done about that.

Jenn

So I guess that stuff is ok to use in a reef tank?

I have no help for you Ralph. Sorry:)

Joe

Oh yeah! Very reefsafe! I treated my leopard 2 x's in display. No issue except from lack of skimming and I had to stop vodka dosing due to no skimming. Didn't u reccomend that crap to me! Lol!

Yes someone else suggested metro to me once but I was not sure it was reef safe.

Joe

Yes, u and Jeremy recomended prazi, and everyone on rc leopard wrasse thread did, too.

Well, it's been like two hours and she has already lost her bulge in diameter, albeit not top to bottom. Sweet!

hummm, she's been out in the open more in the last 30 minutes than in the last 2 days.

Joe=God
Jeremy=God

YES, I will say 10 Hail Mary's & 1 Our Father! LOL!

To answer the earlier question - Metronidazole in food is reef safe.

Glad it's looking better. And which med is better is a matter of opinion - and also depends on what one is treating. In this case if the prazi did it, that's great. Met would have worked too.

Jenn

JennM;374091 wrote: To answer the earlier question - Metronidazole in food is reef safe.

Glad it's looking better. And which med is better is a matter of opinion - and also depends on what one is treating. In this case if the prazi did it, that's great. Met would have worked too.

Jenn

Thanks! Metro, I'm sure works very well, as we speak, my wife's doggie is on that right now recovering well.

I'm not sure which one statistically works better than the other, but prazi is very easy, and seems to work very well & quick.

My fish had that "gut" for about 2 weeks now.

dawgdude;374105 wrote: Is there a way to just treat one fish or do you have to do the whole tank? If you cant "feed" it to a fish and its a system treatment then I could never use it because it would kill my coco and all the awesome featherdusters on my liverock as well! I hope you can feed it and I just didnt find the food additive or something.

whole tank

Ok cool. Yeah, I did two preventive treatments on my leopard. Skimmer went nuts! Cyno went crazy. Other than that, it's worth it inho.

I heard that coco worms would perish, and I heard that they won't. I don't have any, but of I did, I would still treat the tank to treat a fish.

If I spent $$ on a coco worm, I wouldn't risk it - I'd move it someplace else (ie friend's tank etc.) until the Prazi was gone. Jeremy has used it with fanworms with no problems but it does say on the label that it's contraindicated - so it's up to the end user whether he/she wants to risk it.

Jenn

Ralph,

Fish that suffer from digenetic Trematodes, Metacercaria (larvae) or Nematodes (roundworms) will exhibit rapid weight loss and never really appear to be gain any weight even when they are eating very well. This can normally be overcome with the use of a de-wormer such as Praziquantel administered directly to the food at a rate of 250mg/100 grams of food for 7-10 days.

I rather doubt the fish was suffering from digenetic worms, as the opposite condition would show in the form of rapid weight loss. Additionally Prazi would take almost a week to have an affect on any internal digenetic problems, and would need to be administered directly to the food.

I would suggest taking a look at the foods you are feeding, and try and feed small quantities of food several times per day. High quality enriched mysis should consist of the main part of the fishes diet. Feeding dry food is good as well as a supplemental diet, but please keep in mind that dry pelletized food when fed as a primary diet in large quantities can sometimes cause this condition where the food expands a bit when saturated.

It appears your fish was either gorging itself on a larger crustacean, or even numerous copepods, or was suffering from some digestive complication or blockage that fortunately, worked itself out.

Cheers,

http://www.LiveAquaria.com">www.LiveAquaria.com</a>
[IMG]http://www.DrsFosterSmith.com">www.DrsFosterSmith.com</a>

Hobby Experience: 32 years
Current Tanks: Too many to list
Last edited by DFS on 07/27/2009 at 10:32 AM

Open this post in a new window | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Back