intestinal worms or just fat? need Dr.! pics, too!

I have a male and female melanarus. They both got belly bulges after I added a new mushroom rock that had a bunch of planaria on it. I'm pretty sure it was just as said above, gorging. We also have a ton of pods. Is this the conclusion you came to?

It's looking like that (gorging), however, it's not going to hurt anything to dose prazi 1x. Better safe than sorry in this case.

Thanks!

I'd have to rehome a cocoworm during treatment, so I think I'll just keep watch for now. They get a lot of feedings with the anthias in there.

mysterybox;374113 wrote: Thanks! Metro, I'm sure works very well, as we speak, my wife's doggie is on that right now recovering well.

I'm not sure which one statistically works better than the other, but prazi is very easy, and seems to work very well & quick.

My fish had that "gut" for about 2 weeks now.

Actually, I already clarified that remark earlier on this post above. It IS BETTER for me.

I don't know enough about it, to be honest. I can say that Jeremy recommended it, along with Joe for my Leopard wrasses. It was also recomended on another site from Leopard Wrasse keepers. Leopards don't do very well in QT, so they go straight into tank.

I can only state, that at this time, I am very, very satisfied with prazi for my tank and inhabitants. Jeremy also mentioned that he did not lose any worms (I believe). I really couldn't care too much for worms myself. They eat pods, I need pods. They are generally beneficial, I know. Not high on my list, however.

I've been told that PraziPro breaks down in ~ 4 -5 days but there's no way of knowing if that's so. I would think that carbon and/or skimming and/or UV would break it down faster.

I like PraziPro for external stuff like trematodes, and until Jeremy shared his reef experience with it, I'd never used it in a reef tank (just the FO systems in my shop - and for that it's quite effective).

I've used Metronidazole as a food additive for years in reef situations with no ill effects.

I think a lot depends on what problem one is treating, as to what's "better". I wouldn't use Met on a case of gill flukes - but it may work.

Seachem recommends the Met for intestinal worms - they told me that the fish will poop out the worms shortly after ingesting the food laced with Met. I have not stuck around to watch and see if the fish poops right away but I have had good results with it for those and other issues.

Jenn

mysterybox;374227 wrote: I don't know enough about it, to be honest. I can say that Jeremy recommended it, along with Joe for my Leopard wrasses. It was also recomended on another site from Leopard Wrasse keepers. Leopards don't do very well in QT, so they go straight into tank.

I can only state, that at this time, I am very, very satisfied with prazi for my tank and inhabitants. Jeremy also mentioned that he did not lose any worms (I believe). I really couldn't care too much for worms myself. They eat pods, I need pods. They are generally beneficial, I know. Not high on my list, however.

I think this is one of those situations where there is more than one means to the same end.

Jenn

Back