Is an MJ1200 too much flow for a return pump on a 14g Bio-cube?

rostato;310367 wrote: Not trying to be a fight starter, but I firmly believe you need GOOD flow in your tank, or you will have algae, and detrius problems. Obviously the two are almost completly impossible to rid your tank of, but good flow really helps everything, including LPS and softies.

Having only a MJ 600 as a return in your cube will not suffice in my humble opinion. To each his own though/

I'm not on board with the whole "flow fights algae" idea.

Have you ever noticed that nowhere in your tank does algae accumulate better than on powerheads and your return pipe?

As far as detris goes, I'm a believer in lightly stirring the sand. A better term would be to lightly brush the surface, just to get detris in the water colume so it can be filtered out.

I'll try it with just the mj600. If anyones curious how it works out for me, just ask.

hair algae is a different monster, than others...hopefully you wont get a cyano outbreak.

I didn't think about cyano..... I've never had it, but point taken

yeah low flow and any nutrients usually equals cyano for me. But, if you stir your sand religously that shoudl be fine. Just keep an eye for any film on your rocks. But, if you tank is fairly old you should</em> be ok.

Back