is any one on?

umm i just bought LS and LF my filter and new lights, and let it cycle .. i must be doing something right .. i have a yellow tang, clownfish feather dusters, a few condi anemones. and about three damsels

Do you test your water for nitrates or phosphates? Make sure both of those are low enough before you try and add corals. Reef tanks go through a lot of changes in the first year, so make sure to add things slowly. Also when you do get more fish if you didn't do it in the past you should quarantine to make sure no parasites are introduced.

The sump is the small aquarium that goes under your tank and holds your heater, protein skimmer, refugium and other filters. Most reef tanks use a sump.

well I am about to head to bed. thank you for all your support and answers. I will be on here tomorrow. and I will probably ask some more questions. Yall please be patient with me. I am still learning. Once again thank you

Are you going to the meeting? I have some easy corals I can frag (cut you a small piece) if your interested.:)

ilovesam08;162525 wrote: always!! OK so what can you tell me about reef tanks. I am going to be honest. I didnt know that they were different then all fish. I bet ya can tell I am new

Honestly, there's a lot of info involved in doing this hobby correctly. Like most people I did a lot of research. I advise you to do the same as no one person can answer everything about "reef tanks" succinctly. There are many different ways to skin a cat and the same applies to reef tanks. On a side note, who the heck skins cats???

Anyways, I started with
a> website for info and I still go back there for some basic stuff.  G'luck.

ok so, theres sps, small polyp stony. like acropora( looks like stony bushes) or montipora (most commonly in plating formations) these need very high lighting, like metal halides. then theres lps. large polyp stony. like torch coral, acans, frog spawn, hammer, the list goes on. just do some research on the wide range of sps and lps. lps generally need less lighting than sps. both are usually VERY colorful. they glow like a black light poster under actinics and blue led. looks really cool at night. and then theres softies. like leather coral, kenyan trees, and mushrooms. most are kind of a skin color. and these need mostly lower light and rely mostly on being fed phytoplankton. so i mean just type some of these terms on google and you should be able to find a site with a better explanation. ive only been in the hobby for about two months. you should catch on fairly quickly. and you will probably want to look into a protein skimmer. the most trouble ive had with this so far is picking livestock. wish i could explain things a little better, but it is 4 o clock in the morning. i hope you decide to go through with reef keeping, its a great hobby. good luck, and good night.

You can pick up either of those books at any book store in their pet section.

<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">Also - consider going to MACNA is September (</span></span></span>http://www.MACNAXX.com"><span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">www.MACNAXX.com</span></span></span></a><span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">) - the ARC is hosting it this year (a real honor) - it is an international conference - Marine Aquarium Conference of North America - and we have many outstanding speakers to learn from (including Bob Fenner, the author of one of the recommended books in this thread) and a large trade show to see equipment in person.</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;">The conference is September 5, 6 & 7 downtown Atlanta at the Westin Peachtree Plaza and AmericasMart.</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: blue;"></span></span></span>

I would suggest that you purchase both those books for now either on-line or locally. You should not add anymore livestock (unless some "cleanup crew") until you have some kind of plan for your tank and also a working knowledge of it. You can get a lot of great info here, but you will still be the one making the decisions. It is also easy to get some misinformation here, too. Adding a mushroom or leather at this point won't really hurt, but it won't really help either. The slower and more patient you are, the less stress, money, and livestock lost.

here is a link:
(go figure, I have a link!)

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14446">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14446</a>

Ralph

thanks for all the help. I am going to the store tomorrow to pick up the books. I wiill update later. ( when I get everything right ) but once again thanks

also check out that link I gave you in my above post, it's for newbies!

Back