Is Ca Reactor worth?

thanhreef

Market
Reaction score
Hi ARC,
My system has 90 gals (70 gals for display tank + 20 gal for Refugium). I use Brightwell Part A & B to dose. I'd live to buy a Ca Reactor. Do you think it is worth? If so, can you suggest a good brand name?

thanks in advance
-thanh

vista;228852 wrote: Hi ARC,
My system has 90 gals (70 gals for display tank + 20 gal for Refugium). I use Brightwell Part A & B to dose. I'd live to buy a Ca Reactor. Do you think it is worth? If so, can you suggest a good brand name?

thanks in advance
-thanh

If used to dose 2 part, and it just got tiresome. A calcium reactoir takes the works out. I say its SO worth it. try
a>.

Honestly it depends on your calcium requirements. What do you have in your tanks? SPS, clams?

sometimes I am tired of it or I forget. My tanks is mixed: sps, lps, and three clams

If you have a tank over about 55G the payback period it not that long. Plus it's nice when you leave for the weekend to not have to have someone does, etc. I'll never have a large tank without one. I've had the same one (A dual chamber Reeftek) since 2003 and I place it second behind a skimmer for essential equiipment. It keeps your levels absolutely rock solid once dialed in.

I would definitely go for a Calcium Reactor. Its just another piece of equipment that adds easy & automation to your system. Once you get it dialed in to maintain the calcium level you'd like then it's worry free. THe initial cost can be expensive but there is always used reactors for sale on ARC and most of our sponsers have great prices. Also look at a Kalk stirrer to dose kalkswasser to maintain Alakalinity.

Most times you won't need a kalk stirrer unless you just want it or the calcium reactor won't keep up. Ideally yea you want both to keep pH level up but they do the same thing. Both add balanced calium and bicarbonate. I personally have never had a kalk stirrer.

I'm a fan of my reactor...yeah the initial bite may be tough (depending on your wallet) but I'll never go without one now. And I highly recommend MRC! Their CA reactor is amazing!

glxtrix;228868 wrote: I'm a fan of my reactor...yeah the initial bite may be tough (depending on your wallet) but I'll never go without one now. And I highly recommend MRC! Their CA reactor is amazing!

Smart guy! MRC rocks the casbah!

Calcium Reactors are well worth it. I kick myself for not buying one sooner. I've had mine running for years now without issue. I never have to worry about dosing or anything; it's quite enjoyable. A very small price to pay for stability and the ability to enjoy the tank.

thank you for all your advice.
I am looking at the MRC website right now. I am thinking to buy one & accessory package. Which reactor is the best for my system?

Single vs. dual: What is pro & con?

thanks,

I dont really think there is a con against going with a dual over a single....I see it as more of a plus. With the second chamber not only does it hold more media (but it doesn't dissolve here) but its more of a place for the co2 that goes into the first chamber to raise before it goes back into your tank. pH is usually around 6.3-6.8 in the first chamber (depends on your media and rate you need to have it dissolve it to keep up with your demands) and obviously that going into your tank will effect your tanks pH. Thats why some people use a kalk reactor along with a ca reactor to help keep the pH of the tank a little higher.

Go ahead and buy a dual would be my advice. It can always grow with you. I had mine on a 90, then a 135 and now my 450 and it worked for all, no upgrading neccessary.

kwl1763;229106 wrote: Go ahead and buy a dual would be my advice. It can always grow with you. I had mine on a 90, then a 135 and now my 450 and it worked for all, no upgrading neccessary.

Yep, go with the dual if you can. Also, make sure you get the spraybar upgrade-it's awesome! It'll use your CO2 and media more efficiently which save you money, which is just like saving cash! :lol2:

I agree on the spray bar upgrade...I love it! Also it's recommended to upgrade pumps to the tiny pan world pressure rated pump....man those things are cute! Sooo tiny...but do generate a lot of heat...fortunately none of it is transferred into the tank.

yeah, those pumps are great! They are definately "cute" too, but they pack a punch!

Back