Is it that difficult?

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
to build your own tank.....

assuming I buy the glass already cut and with the sanded edges, is it that difficult to put it all together if you've never done it before?

Ive been reading online and most people make it seem easy. The only thing I dont see is any tanks built with rims......they all seem to be built rimless with a brace.

I dont care whether its rimless or not but I wouldnt mind adding rims (bottom and top) for extra support along with a brace.

I want to build a 48x30x20

Thanks.

I don't think it is all that hard to do. I installed a new side in a smaller glass tank and it was pretty easy. I also built a smaller acrylic tank or 2.

But, why risk it? Is there much money to be saved? I would be afraid to come home to everything on the floor when a seam busts.

Schwaggs nailed it; why risk it? In fact, I bet it would cost you considerably more going DIY. Have you priced the glass yet? How about the labor to cut and polish it?

I've never attempted it, so I can't attest to the degree of difficulty.

^^Agreed. I like a warranty on any aquarium that holds $$$$ of reef inhabitants.

If you price the glass on a standard sized tank, you figure out quick that its just as cheap (if not cheaper) to just buy the tank. 48x30x20 is ~75 gallons, any reason for the odd dimensions? Somewhere in particular it has to fit into? If you are building a custom tank that is not what is considered "standard dimensions", then you can save yourself a lot of money building the tank yourself. And the process of building a glass tank is actually pretty simply. No harder/easier than gluing together a wooden box. Just different materials and adhesives but the concept is the same.

You guys are all right no doubt.....Im kind of in the same boat and very much prefer not too risk it, but as far as warranties go, most of local builders that I've spoken with dont warranty their tanks.

Since what I want is a very custom size I thought to myself that without the warranty it might be worth building it myself to save the cash. I can get starphire glass for about $250 (excluding bottom pane and back pane which are regular glass). And these pieces would all be pre cut to size and sanded.

The builder down here quoted me $750 for 3 sided starphire, so I'd be saving $500. So yeah at this point its pretty worth it assuming that I can actually correctly bond the glass. Problem is, thats a big assumption ;)

Glasscages quoted me $518; great price but some of the horror stories Ive heard scare me a bit.

Randy: As for the volume, according to the RC calculator it's closer to a 125. The odd dimensions are only because I saw a tank very similar in dimensions and I fell in love.....the depth front to back looked incredible and the height is awesome because you dont lose too much light......the only thing is that I was considering possibly going a little longer

check the marineland's new tanks....they have started building some really deep tanks(that is front glass to back glass deep)

http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=3600&mid=3228">http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=3600&mid=3228</a>

check out the depth of these bad boys 36inches at only 27inches tall...not to shabby

yeah the marine land tanks are awesome. I've never built a large tank like that before, but I had redone the silicone on a 40-ish gallon tank. Yeah there isnt much guarantee with tanks...at least not with custom ones. Even if you have a regular tank and it busts on you, you may get a new tank, but your stock is lost. You run the risk regardless.

yeah very true....with most of thse warranties (even with the AGA's, Oceanics, Marinelands of the world) the warranttyy covers a new tank but the legal copy is very explicit in that they are no responsible for damage/ livestock.

yeah that marineland is amazing but its still a little too tall for my taste. the good part though is that the stand and canopy are done and I dont have to get that custom as well!

Those dims sound great to me. I have considered moving to a 48 x 24 x 20 when if I move this year. I estimated off my head to be near 100gal.

I cant understand why no local builder will warrant their work? Do they not have insurance? Surely someone is reputable and confident enough in their work to warrant it. That makes no sense to me, since I would think even if they dont warrant it you could give them a tough time in court if they weren't insured (assuming it busted).

yeah it doesnt exactly instill a ton of confidence when you ask "do you warranty your work?" and they say "nah...we cat do that."

I would keep looking. Someone has got to warrant it.

Also maybe contact DSA, MarineLand, err maybe some other common mfgs. Some of them build customs, but I'm not sure if they are very competitive on pricing.

If the builder won't warranty their work, RUN!

Every reputable builder will offer a warranty. I got mine from Canada and it came with a 15 year warranty- I'll know if there's something wrong before then! Other builders will give a longer warranty.

Jorge, you're right, the tank is about 125g; 124.675 to be more precise ;) (LxWxH)/231= total volume in gallons.

Oh, and does MRC build glass? Raj told me he will do a personal, free delivery for you because he is that nice.:D

Edit: On second thought, maybe I will do free delivery if you let me crash at your place in Miami for a few days so I can get my vacation on!

Jgoal55;353500 wrote: to build your own tank.....

assuming I buy the glass already cut and with the sanded edges,<u> is it that difficult to put it all together if you've never done it before?</em></u>

Ive been reading online and most people make it seem easy. The only thing I dont see is any tanks built with rims......they all seem to be built rimless with a brace.

I dont care whether its rimless or not but I wouldnt mind adding rims (bottom and top) for extra support along with a brace.

I want to build a 48x30x20

Thanks.

No ,it is not that difficult to put together your own tank.
<u>is it that difficult to put it all together if you've never done it before?</u></em>
Yes it would be more difficult if you have never done it.

To my understanding, you'd need to build a form;

Constructed of heavy wood, it would need to be sturdy enough to hold the weight of the tank with zero variance from a 90^ angle. It would need to be slightly longer than the longest deminsion of your tank. And it would need to support the tank at every concieveable angle since rotating the tank on the form is neccesary to silicone it one joint at a time. (This is by no means up-do-date information, just a website I found once when I was considering the same thing) On a tank that size, the cost of building the form would eat into your savings for DIYing the project.

Glasscages.com sells bracing (for the rims) at an albeit elevated price.

Once you factor in your cost+time, you may be better off just buying the tank pre-fabricated. That way, when you start filling it up with water, you don't have to second guess your own workmanship........... Do you warranty your work?

Come to think of it, If I were going to take on a project like this, I'd probably buy a used 55g (simarlar dims as stated) and replace the bottom and short end panels).......... Just a thought ......MDE

I've built quite a few tanks, from 30G shop tanks to 300G partitioned shop tanks.
Needing a form is correct in a sense, but it does not need to be heavy per se. MDF sheet, a good true table saw, and a very, very sturdy workbench are essential.
You'll have more time in building fixtures and clamp rests than the project is probably worth, unless you work real cheap.
Silicon oxide sanding pads or drums will polish the edge of the glass nicely, but you have to go slow to avoid heating it and causing a crack to form.
If you decide to go this route, apply silicone to the edge of the piece that will butt into the other, clamp it and leave for at least 24hours before you do anything else.
Next step will involve beading the corners, liberal use of 1/2" masking tape is a given, apply silicone, tool joint, and remove tape as quickly as possible.
Other than the butt joints, you have to tool every bit of silicone applied, or it will lift off and create a leak or blowout.
Cake decorating knives (round ended) are great for this.

Back