Is it worth it?

pbyrmartin

Market
Reaction score
I was fixing to get a Salinity kit for my Apex, but by the time I get it setup, it's almost half the cost of the entire base kit.

Just to monitor one parameter

anyone here has the conductivity kit running.

Hi Rich,

It depends. I ran my tank for years and didn't need to continually monitor salinity.

But I recently added an ATO that pumps fresh water from a 30 gallon container... And an auto water change system pumping fresh salt water from a 30 gallon salt water container. I felt I needed to continuously monitor salinity to protect my tank from malfunctions so I installed the Apex salinity modual and probe.

Systems make big difference as Larry stated.
Your livestock would have a lot to do with the decision making. How much are you " sensitive" worth...

I added one when I setup my Apex and for the life of me I couldn't keep it calibrated to match the actual salinity level. On the Neptune forum quite a few users run into this problem and recommend just using it as a baseline like the ORP probe.

I have one on my system. You do have to re-calibrate it frequently, but it is not hard to do. It is best to place it in the calmest section of your sump where there are no micro bubbles (the reason most people have issues with consistency). I don't rely on it so much as maintaining salinity, but like Brett pointed out, I use it to keep an eye on patterns and abrupt changes. Just another tool to monitor what's going on in my little piece of the ocean.

ghbrewer;1078883 wrote: I have one on my system. You do have to re-calibrate it frequently, but it is not hard to do. It is best to place it in the calmest section of your sump where there are no micro bubbles (the reason most people have issues with consistency). I don't rely on it so much as maintaining salinity, but like Brett pointed out, I use it to keep an eye on patterns and abrupt changes. Just another tool to monitor what's going on in my little piece of the ocean.

How frequent are we talking on the calibration

Once a month

pbyrmartin;1078921 wrote: How frequent are we talking on the calibration

Once a month

I find that when I am proactive that I am doing it every 3-4 months (Although I have been slacking here lately). My current reading is 58.1 (1.0292 sg), but my refractometer is reading ~1.026. The last time I calibrated it was just before Christmas. It slowly drifts over time. That does not affect me reading the graph and looking for anomalies, I just know that is not the actual reading. Again, I am just looking for anomalies on the graphs.

Now, I could go in and adjust the compensation factor from time to time, but I prefer to just re-calibrate with the solution because I find the conductivity compensation to be a little wacky.

Be sure that you get an additional temp probe for the module, as that is the only way you can get temp compensation and somewhat accurate readings.

They don't hold calibration very long, so accuracy is poor. It's easier to simply use your refractometer periodically, imo.

Well neighbor imo with how you do your water changes I say stick with the refractometer it only takes 5 seconds to dribble a few drops and step to the window

Tbub1221;1078995 wrote: Well neighbor imo with how you do your water changes I say stick with the refractometer it only takes 5 seconds to dribble a few drops and step to the window

hey what's up

the more research I do the more I am leaning towards my trusty refractormeter.

If you use the probe, you still need the refractometer because the value drifts so much. The good thing is that you can see changes that happen relatively quickly, like when your ATO float switch gets hung and you get too much freshwater in, or you turn your ATO off when doing a water change and forget to turn it on for a couple days. I think it is a must if you do automated water changes when you are not present.

On the calibration, it took me several attempts over months to get it to finally calibrate even close to true. I was about ready to send it back, when it finally seemed to lock in and I got the temperature compensation right. Now, even when it drifts, it isn't too bad. Mine currently reads 33 instead of the expected 35. I wouldn't take any action based on the number without verifying with a freshly calibrated refractometer.

Back