Is there any ARC members that can weld Aluminum

simon_kruger

Market
Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry for the blanket post. You can move it to DIY'er later once I've got a couple of replies.

I am looking for someone to help me fabricate an eight foot lighting bracket (I have the design already). I will supply all the aluminum and materials as needed, all I need is a good welder who can work with aluminum and me :)

Welding Aluminum is a special skill and one I dont have. I want this done correctly so I am hoping someone out there can help a fellow reefer. Pop rivets are just a last resort.

I am willing to pay for time and any other consumable materials as needed.

All I am looking for right now is a name and contact number so I can set up a meeting. I am quite handy myself so I can help with the welding and prep work.

Simon--what about using rivets? I've seen a club member with his halides all attached to an angle-aluminum frame that was riveted together and it was totally solid. just a thought, if you can't get the welding done...

I can lay some killer beads..I have a Miller SD180 tig welder. However you will have to pre cut and mark exactly where you want me to weld. The only thing that I ask in return is either welding gas or some frags.

purpleGORILLA;62262 wrote: I can lay some killer beads..I have a Miller SD180 tig welder. However you will have to pre cut and mark exactly where you want me to weld. The only thing that I ask in return is either welding gas or some frags.

Thanks man. I may just take you up on that.

If there is anyone closer that would be better. I can do the prep work and have everything cut perfectly. Just needs to be welded together.

Simon where are you buying the Aluminum? Im looking to make a light rack for my 500 and am trying to find an alternative to Home Depot's prices.

Sorry, Homedepot. I'm guessing mine wont cost me more than $100.00 for the 8ft bracket and arms. I'm going with Hamilton dual fixtures 2x400 watt HQI 10K and two of them. So I'll have 1600 of MH.

I am planning on adding 8x4ft Pure Actinic T5 HO Retro kit. So the Arms will be for them.

I found a place in Homedepot that has loads of different shapes of Aluminum. I can show you if needed. I went to the one on Exit 7.

Simon.Kruger;62280 wrote: Sorry, Homedepot. I'm guessing mine wont cost me more than $100.00 for the 8ft bracket and arms. I'm going with Hamilton dual fixtures 2x400 watt HQI 10K and two of them. So I'll have 1600 of MH.

I am planning on adding 8x4ft Pure Actinic T5 HO Retro kit. So the Arms will be for them.

I found a place in Homedepot that has loads of different shapes of Aluminum. I can show you if needed. I went to the one on Exit 7.

Yeah I looked at HomeDepot this past weekend,and the heavier duty stuff is pretty pricey.I was looking at the 1" x 1/8" thick angle.About $40 for an 8' stick I guess.I figured the Aluminum was going to cost me around $200 for all the pieces I need.Just figured there has got to be cheaper options.Ill keep looking around.

I just am chiming in only to give props to whoever does this. I can weld, but man welding aluminum is a real skill. That stuff is like butter.

Most people I know don't weld aluminum in their frames. They either cast it that way or bolt it together. However there are people good enough to do it. I guess it is more like soldering at some point.

Back