Is there anyone willing to give me some advice?

23cnhit

Market
Reaction score
I started a 90 gallon and it has been up and running for 5 months. The tank has cycled, below is a pic of my levels I tested. PH is 1.025. I know my ammonia is a bit high it has gone down now and the nitrates are high, I've probably been over feeding. Cutting that back. I have 2 Evergrow Chinese black box lights. They are about 7 inches from the water. Tank is 25 3/8 inches deep. I cannot get corals to grow. When I put them in there they close up and never open again. I don't know what I am doing wrong. My lights I am running my whites around 15% at the highest and blues at 70% at the highest. They ramp up and down over the 10 hour they are on. Is there anyone willing to come down or over to my house to see what I am doing wrong? I'll pay you for your time.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

sorry to hear you're having trouble. id come out and help if i didnt live so far away. it looks like your parameters are good enough to keep coral alive so idk what could be going wrong. can you tell us a little more about the tank? are you using ro water or tap, have you tested phosphate, calcium, alk or magnesium? what kind of corals were you trying? also is the setup new or did you buy it used? what kind of sand are you using? sorry for all the questions but its hard to figure out whats going wrong without knowing more about the tank

I have not tested for any of the things you listed. I admit that. The rock and sand are used and came from reliable people. I washed the sand before I started my cycling. The tank and sump are used. Trying to grow basic Zoas right now. The ater I use to mix is distilled water from kroger or wal mart. I know ROI water is better but I just can't get that setup right now.

i don't know how anyone haven't caught this, but you shouldn't be putting anything alive in a tank that is showing any ammonia. Take a step back and hold off putting anything back in that tank until your ammonia is at zero. Continue to ghost feed but don't put so much and just monitor your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. You should always see zero on Ammonia and Nitrite.

You can take your water to a LSF and they can test your water for you, you might pay for a few test (most basic testing is free)but at least you would know where you stand. If you really have ammonia after 5 months there is something not right. I would not trust the hydrometer, they have too much of a swing. I know that good testing kits are expensive so you might get the LSF a try. Good luck with your tank.:D

I thank everyone for all their advice. I have had fish in the tank for 2-3 months now. All are thriving. I did add some emerald crabs a week ago and I Know one died. I got him out. I haven't seen the other two. I have also had a fire shrimp and a orange spotted goby go missing in that time frame if that helps with anything. If my ammonia was bad why aren't the fish affected? I am not trying to say anyone is wrong, I have alot to learn. Just trying to help with as much information as I can.
I would love to get to my LFS but the problem is noone is close to me down south. Thanks again

With the ammonia being that high theres something dead in the tank or your tank is hitting another cycle! Have you added any live rock or sand recently and whens the last time you did a water change

I've never been but Fish Bolz is in your area. IDK if they'll test water for you.

How are you treating the water you put in to the tank? Are you topping off for evaporation?

Topping off for evaporation with distilled water if salinity is getting high. I am performing a water change tomorrow. I last did one 2 weeks ago. Not added any liverock or sand.

Oh yeah, you said. I'd definitely start with getting a refractomer to check salinity.

Yeah, probably something dead in the tank that's causing the consistent ammonia reading. Let it settle down, your nitrifying bacteria is probably trying to catch up. Some fish/livestock is hardier than others, hence why some people use damsels (/or clowns) to cycle a tank.

Thank you Civics. Right now I have a regal tang, yellow and sailfin tang. two clowns a dottyback and a coral beauty angel. All eating and Doing great.

I know its tempting, but do your best to hold off until your parameters get into check:)

Thank you Snow man. I will. It just sucks in my 42 gallon everything was fairly good. Had two anemones and lived a piece of flowing coral I had. I like seeing flow.

Hydrometers work fine if properly cleaned, stored and used. I've been using one v for years.
90% of the folks who tried them never rinsed them with rodi water afterwards so the salt creep did not build up at the pivot point. The others usually has bubbles attached to the swing arm.

Back