Is this Ich ?

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
Okay so backstory first. I got this very healthy blue tang last week, and already had a coral beauty in the tank. First day ( roughly 2hrs prior to lights out) the CB was being aggressive toward the tang. The light got turned off and the next morning all was well, and both start swimming around with each other.

Prior to the addition of the tang, my CB had this light spotting of what looked like sand on his top fins. What I heard and researched is that it's a disease (can't remember what) but it would go away over time and wasn't harmful. Now it looks like my tang has the same thing, and none of the other fish in the tank have this spotting.

Ultimately I was reluctant to add a tang because of the Ich susceptibility. :(

a6a91f7c3256b53763d90b68bbb186aa.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to tell but I would attack it as though it is ick. Medicated (using Focus and Metro) foods per the directions on the labels. This will help all fish.

I have heard that Ich treatment hurts the corals, is this true? Sorry for the generic question, i haven't even researched yet. Oh and Jeff, do you recognize that Frogspawn :)

Good looking frogspawn even if I do say so myself! LOL

You can't dose the entire tank with a "ick treatment" as yes, that would hurt corals. You can however dose all the foods you feed in a combination of Metro, Focus and Garlic guard per the instructions on the containers. This boosts the fish's immune system and enables them to fight the parasite (I don't believe it's technically a disease). This protocol in conjunction with the proper use of a UV Sterilizer will help you. Besides that you would have to catch each fish and do a dip treatment and that generally stresses the fish even more and personally, I have found it to be less effective.

Was the tang quarantined prior to introduction to the tank?

I learned the hard way after having 2 ick outbreaks that wiped out my livestocks both time. After the 2nd incident I set up an inexpensive 10G QT and it was the best investment in the hobby. I QT for 2-4 weeks treating with Cupramine to erradicate any known or unknown disease and never have to worry about ick every making it. During that QT time I monitor the fish, make sure its eating healthy, plus up the food with garlic/vitamins. I would recommend you adopt that same method but to each his own.

Yeah I have a 10g sitting around. For the QT is it okay to run a small aqueon filter system?

bkostuch;1048300 wrote: Yeah I have a 10g sitting around. For the QT is it okay to run a small aqueon filter system?

Sure. Check out the setup I showed on this youtube vid.
https://youtu.be/oAv7w1dPdjs?list=PLJcAYpo6NQngM1D9cIeX3ObGwjsjfFWwd">https://youtu.be/oAv7w1dPdjs?list=PLJcAYpo6NQngM1D9cIeX3ObGwjsjfFWwd</a>

I would recommend having some filter sponge etc. in the DT so it can be seeded with beneficial bacteria. This along with some seachem stability should prevent a cycle/ammonia spikes. Weekly w/c are also needed depending on the size of the fish and its bioload.

btw loving the blue hippo tang. I want one as well but don't want to get a baby. I've been on the hunt for a resell one on here that is bigger at a cheaper price lol

This ones about 4-5 inches total so a decent size. Well at least in comparison to my other fish :)

Oh and I think those spots are the same thing my angel had. the ones in the picture are gone now.

What other fish are in the tank with it? 4-5" is that not too big for a 4' 120? I'm not judging, I'm asking because I want one. I've had them before but all have ended up with ich. Ill pm you my ich treatment if you want. I won't say it out loud on the forum because I've been laughed off other forums when I suggest it.

I would put him more on the 4" side. Now I am not a member of the tang police but I have heard 100 is bare min for a blue tang. When he gets bigger I suppose I will have to relocate him but hopefully he will be good.

Always open to a treatment :)

I stand slightly corrected, looks like 180 is min size on blues. Guess my vision is going... Looks like I'll have to upgrade to a new tank. :)

bkostuch;1048319 wrote: I would put him more on the 4" side. Now I am not a member of the tang police but I have heard 100 is bare min for a blue tang. When he gets bigger I suppose I will have to relocate him but hopefully he will be good.

Always open to a treatment :)

This is the tang police. I'm here to take your tang into custody and relocate him (my tank) lol

bkostuch;1048305 wrote: Oh and I think those spots are the same thing my angel had. the ones in the picture are gone now.

Ick can come and go. It will depend on stress with each individual fish. The problem becomes that the parasite is now free floating in your water column.

Ugh, so really and truly drop the tang into hospital tank and treat?

Genesis;1048329 wrote: This is the tang police. I'm here to take your tang into custody and relocate him (my tank) lol

I'll be honest, he is stressing me out to the point that I think I have Ich :). If you have a hospital tank we might be able to work something out. I might be over reacting but this is why I 2nd guessed the tang. But for about 2 weeks I watched this guy at the LFS, it's like he was taunting me.

Shame on me for no QT to start.

bkostuch;1048331 wrote: Ugh, so really and truly drop the tang into hospital tank and treat?

Not necessarily. UV Sterilizer will get a lot of it. It won't get 100% because you can't guarantee that 100% of the water column will go through the UV. Using a UV in conjunction with feeding medicated foods is how I've combated it and saved a number of fish. Lesson learned.

I have some shopping to do to get my setup right.

Back