Is this Ich ?

Yeah, I had the almost exact same issue, blue hippo cane down with itch, and it started to spread, I'm doing the hyposalinity hospital tank for all of my fish, and keeping the DT fish free for 3 months, and will be qting all new fish from now on, even if you treat the fish,the tank will still have it for 2+ months.

So i had the opportunity to get my regal out of my tank. Long story short, my son was getting sick through the night and I was up. I noticed the tang sleeping near the top of the water line behind my heater, dropped my net in and scooped him up. Going to isolate him and hopefully treat/save him. I'll continue to treat the other tank through food. At least in my 10g hospital I can run copper for him.

Be careful with copper, tangs don't tolerate it well. If you MUST go that way, use Seachem Cupramine, remove any carbon filtration (copper is for qt tank ONLY) and be sure to test for the level. Copper is like chemotherapy. Toxic to the patient too, the trick is to kill only the pest but not the patient.

I'm not 100% sure it's ich. The picture is inconclusive to me. You could have a couple of things going on there, including Lymphocystis which is viral and relatively harmless, and if it's 'fuzzy' rather than 'salty' looking it could be Brookynella hostilis or even Amyloodinium.

If it were me I'd treat with a formalin based medicine like Formalin 3 or Hikari Ich-X for saltwater. Both container formalin which will address Ich, if that's what it is, and it will also address Brooklynella and Amyloodinium if it happens to be either of those.

Here's an article on quarantine.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Yeah I wouldn't do any copper treatment unless it was cupramine. Testing twice a day, the white spots multiplied to about 50 or so by the time I got him to QT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty aggressive. I'd be treating ALL the fish, and leaving the display fallow for a month or two.

Jenn

Here is a picture from tonight, treating the other fish through food like you mentioned and the tang in QT. no other fish is showing any white spots.
5d0beb408b30b58ff57986bb1f9ce610.jpg
alt="" />

Still has a crazy good appetite and no rapid breathing.

Got him out of the tank before most of that showed up, granted I know it's already in the water of the DT but had the opportunity to grab him and jumped.

Herbtana is what we use if we have a ich break out. Doesn't affect the coral. Kinda smells like vicks vabor rub. You treat the whole tank for 10 days and ick is gone. Great stuff. Dr Fosters sells it, you can also find it on ebay.

LMDetail;1048803 wrote: Herbtana is what we use if we have a ich break out. Doesn't affect the coral. Kinda smells like vicks vabor rub. You treat the whole tank for 10 days and ick is gone. Great stuff. Dr Fosters sells it, you can also find it on ebay.

Ironically I am using that as well, so far so good.

Good luck with that kind of stuff. It doesn't really address the problem, and it can inhibit gas exchange because it's oily.

It's part of the life cycle of the Ich to drop off the fish (and then reproduce) so don't be lulled into a false sense of security if the number of spots decreases. They'll be back with a vengeance when the next generation of parasites mature.

Jenn

So about 5 days in QT running cupramine and metro / garlic combo in her food. Never lost her appetite once. She looks better but I know I still have a long way to go in QT. overall very happy so far with results. I did notice when she was rubbing she scratched herself good but that has started healing well.
f9b7707d641e57914379f1725ade9bf0.jpg
alt="" />

Back