Is this light going to be enough?

tbub1221

Reaction score
I've got a xr15 gen4 over my little tank and I'm putting up my 93 cube  , the xr15 says it can cover 24"x24" my new tank is 30"x30" could I get away with hanging it a little higher and ramping up the power or could I change the lenses or should I just look at the xr30 , I'd rather not spend more $ if possible  but with this hobby I don't even know how that's possible.

I looked up the light stats and it says it can cover 24" to 30" wide and deep.  I suspect you may see low par levels on the edges  and the bottom of the tank though.  You could always add 1 or 2 - 24" retrofit t5s non HO to boost the par levels for really cheap ($15 each).  @dball711 has a few new extras the club has for sale.  They are tiny about 1" x 24" and they easily mount anywhere, they come with an actinic bulb.  This is a cheap and simple solution.  Plus you will love the color and growth you get from the t5s.

I would agree with Bcavalli.  You will have a 6 zone around the edges were nothing will grow.  This might be ok and keep some algae off the glass.

Thanks for the replies , It's a rimless cube no canopy and I really like the streamline clean look of just a single radeon light I added some t5 to my last system but I had a canopy to hide it , I really don't think I want to look at that mess above the tank this time ,  so I guess I won't know until I test it out with a par meter . Currently the light is running under 40% and only adding 4-6" of additional water depth  so we will see I guess  , maybe a dead zone near the glass won't be too bad

Back