Is this unsafe?

Collink91

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone ever had a rug underneath their stand? Is this unsafe?

my wife is insisting that the rug that is in the room my tank will go into remains there, but the rug would only go under about half of the stand. I could shim the back of the stand to make it level again, but my inclination is that the tank will be less stable than it could be were it just on the hardwood floor and if someone pulled or tripped over the rug it could jostle the tank. Or am i just overthinking this and the tank weighs 2000 pounds so theres no way the rug is moving regardless?

Edit: to be clear, my wife isnt concerned about the tank messing up the floor or anything, she just likes the way this rug looks in our entryway.

I don't think it's unsafe if you shim it (which may not even be necessary).

She better really, really, really like that rug though, cuz it ain't going anywhere until the tank does.

Just kidding she just came walking in and said “i dont know why it was so important to me but im realizing im putting you in a position where you’re gonna be worried about it all the time so roll up the rug and we’ll get a smaller one”

crisis averted. Welcome into my home/marriage/life everyone!

I think the biggest issue would've been that the tank wouldn't be level with the rug underneath half the stand :) . You always want your system to be as level as possible. Good thing you avoided the crisis!

Your instincts were correct- putting a rug partially under a tank could have caused weaknesses overtime. Glad y’all were able to work it out! Hope that y’all pick a new rug your wife really likes to go in the room!

Back