Issues With Corals: Any thoughts?

gmpolan

Market
Reaction score
Ok so ill give you a little run down on the set up. Its a 150 (6 x 2 x 2) with a 25 gallon frag all tied to a 55 gallon sump/fuge.

Flow:
2 mp40's
2 k1400 Koralias
1 mp10 on the frag

Lighting:
3 Lumenmax elite 250 watt - Radium bulbs - 6 hrs a day (trying to adjust but its still bleaching)
Sunpod 150 - Phoenix 14 k - 8 hrs

Support:
MRC CR1 and an additional MRC container - mostly media but the second chamber contains some neo mag along with media
MRC MR2 skimmer
BRS reactor with GFO - changed every 4 weeks
30 gallon water changes every 10 to 12 days with salinity - RODI Unit is an airwaterice (3 months old, still reads less than 1 on the output)

Params: Alittle out of wack i know
Cal: 575
MG: 1250
Alk:7
Temp 81 at the end of the day but usually below 80
Ph: 8.4x
Reactor PH: 6.76
no test for nitrates or nitrites or phosphates ( try to cover with water changes)
Salinity: 1.027 as my sister tops off while im gone so it tends to fluctuate

Ok now everyone knows i travel so i cant always monitor as well as i should but i try my best. My delimma is, even after slowly restocking the tank ( Thanks so much to Robb, Mark, etc who have been generous), i am still struggling with growing sps. Some do fine and take off then others perish extremely fast. I just cant get it...??? I figured it would be easier to support once i went to better lighting, better flow, and better filtration but nope it sure hasnt. Heck i had better luck in my smaller tank with t'5s and no supplements. Ive even had some corals in the frag tank for months and they barely cover the frag plug then slowly start to perish all of sudden. Im not talking like the difficult types but the generic run of the mill of beginner sps.

So after loosing some corals to the new lighting (which i kind of expected) as i had my old mh burn out, some are starting to promote growth while others are rtn. Im just really starting to get frustrated with the corals aspect as i can primarly only have zoas/SPS due to my idol.

Any thoughts besides obviously trying to lower my ph and calc alittle (remember i travel so i have three days to do whatever i need to do)?

My action thus far:I cut back the drip rate by just a tad to reduce it.

If anyone ever wants to come by and take a look at the set up to see if they could perhaps analyze what i could be doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated. The fish are all extremely healthy and happy so maybe i should go fowlr.

Im right off peachtree about three miles down from lenox. Me and Robb set it up a few months back when i started to travel. The tests were closer to 500 at the point but never higher than so i left it be.

Well... you already know my theory, but I'll go ahead and throw it on here.

Your corals got sunburned badly...

The upgrade from the batwings to the Lumenmax Elites is like going from a penlight to a spotlight for your corals and they are not coping well. I did the SAME. EXACT. THING. to my corals when I moved everything over from my 90. I had all my corals bleach for months and couldnt figure it out. I lowered the light cycle down to 6 hours and they were STILL bleaching under the lumenmaxes.

THEN, I spoke with Eddie Miller down at BioReef who suggested I do 2 hours on and 1.5 hours off 3x per day. I did that for 3 weeks and boom... my corals all came back better than ever (well.. one monti didnt, but whatever). I know you'll have issues with it because of your RKE (not nearly as cool as the apex :p ), so hopefully someone with an RKE can step in and offer some help. Maybe take your photo period down to 4 hours.

I'm tellin ya... if everything else is testing out, its sunburn. Everything you've described says so.

Crewdawg1981;661808 wrote: I know you'll have issues with it because of your RKE (not nearly as cool as the apex :p )

always looking for an opportunity to take a jab arent ya Grant...

Geoff - lemme know if you need help setting the multi timer for your light cycle. and since you are starting a basement build, lemme know if you wnat to buy a Remote Display for your RKE. I bought one and it sits about 3 ft from my head unit....overkill.

Crewdawg1981;661808 wrote: Well... you already know my theory, but I'll go ahead and throw it on here.

Your corals got sunburned badly....

I agree with you grant to a certain degree (my display) as i cant understand why id be loosing frags in my frag tank tho....The lighting set up never changed. I have pink hydnophora coral that keeps continuously growing but yet, ones like phils and hawkins dont even stand a chance.

As far as the display, I have a softball size colony of tri color that all is starting to color up quite nicely with white tips but a birdsnest that is completely rtning....its just frustrating and i cant figure it out.

It has been on the lower sides in the past dave...define stable?

gmpolan;661870 wrote: It has been on the lower sides in the past dave...define stable?

Mainly 24 hour to 48 hour swings, 7 is a little low. then if you do water changes that may spike the alk. I had that problem as well, some sps are much more sensitive to alk swings,montis being the most sensitive in my tank.

So whats the recommendation to creating a stable alk level with regards to water changes? I need to get everything as stable as possible as i only have three days a week to really monitor everything

Which calcium media are you using and what ph are you maintainng in the reactor

Edit:
gmpolan;661875 wrote: So whats the recommendation to creating a stable alk level with regards to water changes? I need to get everything as stable as possible as i only have three days a week to really monitor everything
What is the alk level of your NEW saltwater?

gmpolan;661863 wrote: I agree with you grant to a certain degree (my display) as i cant understand why id be loosing frags in my frag tank tho....The lighting set up never changed. I have pink hydnophora coral that keeps continuously growing but yet, ones like phils and hawkins dont even stand a chance.

As far as the display, I have a softball size colony of tri color that all is starting to color up quite nicely with white tips but a birdsnest that is completely rtning....its just frustrating and i cant figure it out.

Maybe your low alk? I've been using the Salinity for over a year now and mine is 3.5meqs which according to the conversion is ~9.8dkh (so... right in the window). Though your situation sounds exactly like mine until it hits the frag tank...

gnashty;661838 wrote: always looking for an opportunity to take a jab arent ya Grant....

hahahaha! Um... :D

any other thoughts?

Ill be home all week and in town if anyone wants to stop to perhaps take a look.

How mature is the tank?
How mature are the sps that you're adding? (frags or mini colonies?)

when my tank was less than a year old, i had trouble with most SPS but montis did great.. (no sps added before 1 year lived)

when I started adding mini (and even larger) colonies, they "took" and since then I've seen growth across the board (even on frags that I've accidentally created when moving things around)..

Rbredding;662511 wrote: How mature is the tank? 8 months
How mature are the sps that you're adding? (frags or mini colonies?)
Ive added both but primarily frags, some have sustained for months and had growth then poof, but just had one of my bigger colonies die off.

when my tank was less than a year old, i had trouble with most SPS but montis did great.. (no sps added before 1 year lived) The tank will probably be broken down and moved to a larger tank before the one year mark...

when I started adding mini (and even larger) colonies, they "took" and since then I've seen growth across the board (even on frags that I've accidentally created when moving things around)..

Im trying everything and i just cant get it to set properly. So hopefully i can figure out before i get to frustrated....

Had to frag some more larger colonies last night and will be doing a large water change this evening...hopefully some of this stuff will make it

Came to home to some of my gsp dying off, so im clueless...i checked the params less than a week ago....this all cant be light related

what I would do:

get a brs dual canister for gfo & carbon, change weekly for for a month or two...

switch to salinity and do weekly water changes and make sure your refractor meter is calibrated to 35.

mysterybox;663429 wrote: what I would do:

get a brs dual canister for gfo & carbon, change weekly for for a month or two...

switch to salinity and do weekly water changes and make sure your refractor meter is calibrated to 35.

All those are already (individual reactors) included except ill need to verify the refractometer....

Back