Issues With Corals: Any thoughts?

Well checked and the refracto was alil off as the salinity is quite high at the moment so im going to start with bringing it back down in range. I guess having two rimless tanks are causing quite the evaporation....

gmpolan;663449 wrote: Well checked and the refracto was alil off as the salinity is quite high at the moment so im going to start with bringing it back down in range. I guess having two rimless tanks are causing quite the evaporation....

Im pretty sure the high salinity is the culprit. Let me know when you want a helping hand. You have my number.

So salinity is down to 1.026 after about 50 gallon of water change, ill repost the params once i get back....

My 2 cents....the bn and hawkins are pretty sensitive coral. My tank fluctuated all the way up to 1.030 before. Then my gsp started closing which are my canaries in the tank. I bet that is the culprit honestly. Also in my opinion since you have a large tank, you are pretty stable. I like to keep thing simple and i would yank out the reactor. That thing has crashed a couple tanks that i have seem over time and seems to do more harm. I never had one but just keeping up with wc and using reefsalt or salienty is all that is necessary for sps growth.

chauwall;665809 wrote: My 2 cents....the bn and hawkins are pretty sensitive coral. My tank fluctuated all the way up to 1.030 before. Then my gsp started closing which are my canaries in the tank. I bet that is the culprit honestly. Also in my opinion since you have a large tank, you are pretty stable. I like to keep thing simple and i would yank out the reactor. That thing has crashed a couple tanks that i have seem over time and seems to do more harm. I never had one but just keeping up with wc and using reefsalt or salienty is all that is necessary for sps growth.

Not for long term growth of SPS. Unless you have tons of money to spend on the higher end salts and do water changes every other day...

You need stable conditions in the right params or you will continue to have problems. Get a chiller and keep the temp at 77.

tromblydavid;665835 wrote: You need stable conditions in the right params or you will continue to have problems. Get a chiller and keep the temp at 77.

Thanks but i think this is an obvious....and i own a chiller but the tank usually doesnt hot enough to need one, tops out at 81 at the end of the day

1.030....all my tanks are rimless so i am assuming after not checking for about 3 or 4 weeks if just evaporated that much so after about 50 gallons its back down to 1.026 but i still need to bring it down before i leave on another trip.

Geoff I'm not gonna say that the SG. was not your problem but I have ran my sy</em>stem at that sg. for years without issue.

grouper therapy;665877 wrote: Geoff I'm not gonna say that the SG. was not your problem but I have ran my sy</em>stem at that sg. for years without issue.

You've run your systems at a SG of 1.030?

Right... it was more of a question, but you run your system at 1.030 (Dave)?

Why?

I'm not sure why some think 1.030 is too high.Maybe because someone told them it was? The Red Sea is 1.030 at the low end of it's average.

Edit: I only drip kalkwasser and my cal.alk,mag levels stay up better.

gmpolan;665873 wrote: 1.030....all my tanks are rimless so i am assuming after not checking for about 3 or 4 weeks if just evaporated that much so after about 50 gallons its back down to 1.026 but i still need to bring it down before i leave on another trip.

Don't forget that you thought your refractometer needed to be calibrated and I would guess your SG was actually a little higher then what we found. Just a thought.

My vote goes to the lower magnesium and alk. 1250 and 7 are within range, but at the lower end. Are you getting any algae or red slime?

Edit: My vote goes to the lower magnesium and alk. 1250 and 7 are within range, but at the lower end. Are you getting any algae or red slime?

Just finished changing some more water and looking at stuff, the ones that have rtn'd are still and have been fragged while the rest seem fine.

Checked the salinity after another twenty gallons out, 1.025 so i think were ok.

I will do a real water change on sunday and test all params so we will see.

John, also checked the calibration on the refracto and its fine as i just tested the rodi water and it was at 0 salinity.
I will however will need to change the filters come here soon from all this water....

Mass, no ha nor red slime....like zero

The red sea is at the high end. You should be at 35ppt not 40. Also 81 is getting hot. I know you may not agree but 77 is much better. Turn your chiller on. A lot of people run there tanks hot but then why if you have a chiller you are better at 76-78.

Edit: Your are supposed to calibrate with 35ppt solution not 0.

Edit: Dropping salinity fast = not stable.

Make changes slowly.

Back