It almost went up in flames...

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
Yet another reason I need to get the hell out of Atlanta...

My neighbor across the hall from me lit candles and left her apartment. I happened to be home today (I'm NEVER off on Mondays) and heard someone talking outside my apartment. I walk outside and see smoke billowing from the unit across the hall. Her wall is on fire, not ten feet from my reef tank. Luckily AFD got here stupid fast and got the fire out within minutes. It could have gone so so so much worse. My apartment, and my possessions and reef tank are all fine. I'm hella shook, but boy, the idiocy of people... She could have completely upended my life.

Get renters insurance. And thank a fireman today.

you know my wife does that all the time and i blow them out i keep warning her about leaving candles burning

you know my wife does that all the time and i blow them out i keep warning her about leaving candles burning
This tenant (all I know about her is that she smokes copious amounts of weed in her apartment) apparently had a bookshelf full of books right above this candle. I learned this from the firemen who are basically destroying her apartment as I type this. It's been an eventful day for sure. When I saw the fire I grabbed my cat, threw him in his carrier, and ran outside. AFD had ten trucks literally blocking everything and there were 30 fire fighters here within 3 minutes of having called them.

But yeah - stupid candles....

Glad you're safe.
Ugh, I imagine that you now have to wash your entire wardrobe and sheets and clean your carpet and furniture now that everything smells like smoke.

What a miracle. A fire across the hall, but all of your livelihood makes it without a scratch. Someone’s looking out for you Shawn!

Happy you've made it out unscathed with losses, and especially the cat made it too:)

Back