Its bad, But why.

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
After installing an phosban reactor, using half the amount recommended, and doing 30 gal wc.I watch the hair algae grow.I been scrubbing it off when doing wc, but grows back faster then I can get it out. I dont know what to do.It all started when I was over feeding for a CBB.And its been out of control. I can't figure what the source of the problem.Any thoughts.

Mabye it's lights? Or something in your tank is leaching something. I've seen you post a lot about trying to get rid if this. Good luck.

Ringo®;964565 wrote: Are you sure you're not dealing with bryopsis?

No, I'm not sure, not sure what bryopsis.Will look it up

JC_k;964567 wrote: Mabye it's lights? Or something in your tank is leaching something. I've seen you post a lot about trying to get rid if this. Good luck.

Thanks, I will win this battle.Its just 1 of many challenges of reefing.

I just added GFO and my tank did the same thing. This tank is about 14 years and I can't remember when it last had hair algae. But phosphates were high so added GFO and *BOOM* massive hair algae blow out. BUT, it has now been about 4 weeks and all of a sudden the hair algae is going away by itself. I haven't change my routine maintenance. So, I am not sure what happened or why but seems to be running its own course. Maybe yours will do the same thing ...

I think Ringo was on to something.I think it is bryopsis.Now that I think of it, when I got my fish, I added a frag with a small patch of green stuff on it at the same time.So what do I do now.Teck M or what.

Bryopsis is the spawn of SATAN!!! You will have to nuke the entire tank to get rid of it! Sometimes you will find a sea hare that will also eat bryopsis. If you try one watch to see if it mows down the algae... It may help, but I don't think it will cure, just keep it clean...

I just did some reading and the best thing you can do is boost your magnesium. I don't know if it will affect the other organisms in the tank but apparently when the bryopsis absorbs the magnesium it stops the growth on it and then killing it.

When I get Bryopsis...I use the Tech M treatment and have gotten rid of it 3 separate times this way. You have to do it correctly. There should be posts in Reef Discussion about it. Acroholic probably has a thread on it.

porpoiseaquatics;964627 wrote: When I get Bryopsis...I use the Tech M treatment and have gotten rid of it 3 separate times this way. You have to do it correctly. There should be posts in Reef Discussion about it. Acroholic probably has a thread on it.
Thats what i got out of it after researched it.And only Tech M will work.Thanks.I got a total 205 gal.Just wish some one with the same knows about how much the does would be.Only kidding.I will look it up.Hope a gal will be enough.

<span style="color: #008080">KENT TECH M BRYOPSIS TREATMENT</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Use: </span><span style="color: #696969">Aid in the removal of Bryopsis algae</span>

<span style="color: #008080">When using this product: </span><span style="color: #696969">Keep the phosphate level at or below 0.03ppm. Discontinue use of a Poly-Filter (as it has been thought to adsorb the effective ingredient in Tech M). </span><span style="color: #696969">Do not increase magnesium levels more than 200ppm per day. Do not exceed a magnesium level of 2100ppm. Do not add new livestock while magnesium levels are elevated.</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Directions: </span><span style="color: #696969">Add one dose of Kent Tech M daily to boost magnesium by 200ppm each day, for four consecutive days (in order to achieve a target level</span><span style="color: #696969"> of 2100ppm).* Maintain this level until the tank is free of Bryopsis (usually between three and six weeks), then let magnesium levels return to normal via consumption and export during regularly scheduled water changes.</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Testing: </span><span style="color: #696969">It is recommended that you use a test kit to confirm that the magnesium level doesn't exceed 2100ppm. Testing is always recommended when dosing any product into your aquarium; however, with precise dosing, it is possible to use this treatment without a magnesium test kit.**</span>

<span style="color: #696969">Tip: In order to test these levels of magnesium, it might be necessary to dilute a tank water sample in half with RO/DI or distilled water (then double the result to get your actual magnesium level). </em></span>

<span style="color: #008080">Dosage: </span><span style="color: #696969">Per the bottle, 1ml of Tech M will raise the magnesium level of one gallon of saltwater by 18.4ppm. So 11ml will raise the magnesium level of one gallon of saltwater by about 200ppm.</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Manual removal: </span><span style="color: #696969">For a better chance of success, it is necessary to manually remove the algae during treatment. Tweezers are the most effective method, but a toothbrush can be used when the algae starts to get pale and soft, If possible, brush off the rock in a bucket of saltwater to make things easier and to help prevent algae fragments from entering the display. </span>

<span style="color: #008080">Water changes: </span><span style="color: #696969">It is recommended that you continue to perform regular water changes during treatment. To compensate, (after the water change) add 44ml of Kent Tech M to the tank for every gallon of water changed.</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Specific gravity:</span><span style="color: #696969"> Dosing this product will affect the specific gravity of saltwater, Special attention and corrections need to be made to keep sg within proper ranges.</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Warnings: </em></span><span style="color: #696969">Use this treatment at your own risk. Kent Tech M is not intended to be used in this manner, nor has this treatment been endorsed by the manufacturer. Neither Kent nor I will be responsible for damage caused by using the above treatment.</em></span>

<span style="color: #696969">*You must use Kent Tech M, as other magnesium supplements don't seem to produce the same results.</em></span>
<span style="color: #696969">**Assumes a starting magnesium level of 1300ppm.</em></span>

nickg;964667 wrote: <span style="color: #008080">KENT TECH M BRYOPSIS TREATMENT</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Use: </span><span style="color: #696969">Aid in the removal of Bryopsis algae</span>

<span style="color: #008080">When using this product: </span><span style="color: #696969">Keep the phosphate level at or below 0.03ppm. Discontinue use of a Poly-Filter (as it has been thought to adsorb the effective ingredient in Tech M). </span><span style="color: #696969">Do not increase magnesium levels more than 200ppm per day. Do not exceed a magnesium level of 2100ppm. Do not add new livestock while magnesium levels are elevated.</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Directions: </span><span style="color: #696969">Add one dose of Kent Tech M daily to boost magnesium by 200ppm each day, for four consecutive days (in order to achieve a target level</span><span style="color: #696969"> of 2100ppm).* Maintain this level until the tank is free of Bryopsis (usually between three and six weeks), then let magnesium levels return to normal via consumption and export during regularly scheduled water changes.</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Testing: </span><span style="color: #696969">It is recommended that you use a test kit to confirm that the magnesium level doesn't exceed 2100ppm. Testing is always recommended when dosing any product into your aquarium; however, with precise dosing, it is possible to use this treatment without a magnesium test kit.**</span>

<span style="color: #696969">Tip: In order to test these levels of magnesium, it might be necessary to dilute a tank water sample in half with RO/DI or distilled water (then double the result to get your actual magnesium level). </em></span>

<span style="color: #008080">Dosage: </span><span style="color: #696969">Per the bottle, 1ml of Tech M will raise the magnesium level of one gallon of saltwater by 18.4ppm. So 11ml will raise the magnesium level of one gallon of saltwater by about 200ppm.</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Manual removal: </span><span style="color: #696969">For a better chance of success, it is necessary to manually remove the algae during treatment. Tweezers are the most effective method, but a toothbrush can be used when the algae starts to get pale and soft, If possible, brush off the rock in a bucket of saltwater to make things easier and to help prevent algae fragments from entering the display. </span>

<span style="color: #008080">Water changes: </span><span style="color: #696969">It is recommended that you continue to perform regular water changes during treatment. To compensate, (after the water change) add 44ml of Kent Tech M to the tank for every gallon of water changed.</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Specific gravity:</span><span style="color: #696969"> Dosing this product will affect the specific gravity of saltwater, Special attention and corrections need to be made to keep sg within proper ranges.</span>

<span style="color: #008080">Warnings: </em></span><span style="color: #696969">Use this treatment at your own risk. Kent Tech M is not intended to be used in this manner, nor has this treatment been endorsed by the manufacturer. Neither Kent nor I will be responsible for damage caused by using the above treatment.</em></span>

<span style="color: #696969">*You must use Kent Tech M, as other magnesium supplements don't seem to produce the same results.</em></span>
<span style="color: #696969">**Assumes a starting magnesium level of 1300ppm.</em></span>

Thanks Nick, Great Info.This is better than any others then I found.I need to pick up a gal of this stuff.Thanks again.

CHANGE out your gfo 2-3 times a week and use full strength...your phates are boud up in your algae and rock.....they will continue to release algae until exhausted...

Before everyone jumps to diagnosis and such, did I miss where you posted your nitrate and phosphate levels?

I've got a full gallon unopened and another gallon jug maybe 1/2 full. Both for $25 in FS thread.
PM if interested

McPhock;964714 wrote: Before everyone jumps to diagnosis and such, did I miss where you posted your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Now you know the phosphate is going to read 0.But its not true.Nitrates are are good.Only keep 4 small fish in my 180.Have no sand, its a BB.In 8yrs of reefing, I have never even new what hair algae looked like.Im thinking it is the bryopisis algae. The sad thing is my sps corals have been looking good, got good color.

Back