Its Cold!

Gabridge83

Treasurer
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
So with weather models agreeing on Christmas being down right cold and some wanted to give us a white Christmas 🎄 ❄️ ⛄️; figured it’s time to talk about preparing for winter power outages.
For the experienced reefer what do you do to be prepared? For the newer reefer what are you doing?
6B6816AE-E46C-4508-8B19-1DA85D617349.jpeg

Well when and if the power did go out I would go into life support mode. Meaning just the heater and return pump would be running. I have a generator that is more than capable of running the tank and a few other appliances. What I tend to do, is make sure the car is full of gas and I hook my inverter up to the battery and every few hours will use the car at idle to run just to pump and heater. And then use the generator as a backup. Saying that, I don't have a garage and from where I park on the driveway to my tank is about 20 ft, it kind of works out.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am an inexperienced reefer but I will share what I have done. The main thing is I have a gasoline powered generator capable of running all my tanks. I have plenty of food and supplements too.

bought my son a battery operated airpump fro his 40 as I had a Generac installed in my place 2 years back -

i'm actually proud to say after almost 10years of reefing i'm officially ready for power outage. i still don't want to see it happen but i'm ready this time around as long as i'm home to start my new generator.

Four of these connected as two pair, each pair in series. Producing 24 VDC from each pair.

The pairs are directly connected to DC pumps using Tunze Safety Connectors and topped off automatically using digital battery conditioners.

Run times are 36+ hours each and switch over automatically with a loss of power. It switches back to normal operation when power is restored.

Our subdivision is next to a substation and we have never lost power longer than that.

We also have 96% efficient natural gas furnaces with backup.

Attachments

• 1BB0690E-BB81-4643-89AB-AEA936C14DAC.jpeg
    1BB0690E-BB81-4643-89AB-AEA936C14DAC.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 5
Back