I've Created a Monster - Now What???

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
In http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16802">this thread</a>, I was considering parting with my golden dwarf moray because he seemed unhappy and refused to eat.

Now he's eating and doesnt seem to want to <u>stop</u> eating. In the above thread, it was suggested that I be careful not to [B]over[/B]feed.

What is the danger of overfeeding this guy? Can he develop a blockage or something?

As soon as the skewer with food attached hits the water now, he's attacking it. And after one serving, he's out and all over the tank looking for more. I've never seen him spend so much time in the water column before. He ate 7 pieces of silversides tonight and I finally quit before he did.

Tonight he swam pretty close to the surface and I'm worried about him escaping from the tank -- I only have eggcrate and have never worried about it since he's always stayed in the liverock with just his head peaking out from time to time.

Can these creatures learn a particular feeding schedule, so I can be sure he'll only venture out @ feeding time? How often is too often to feed and how much is too much? My husband said he read that these eels should eat until sated, but this one doesn't seem sated. It's like he's making up for lost time! I'm afraid if he's not completely sated, he'll *hunt* and escape the tank, but I sure don't want to overfeed him and kill him. He's the coolest fish!

As soon as I can I'm going to get a video of this guy eating. It's way cool, but at the same time it really has me worried.

Any input will be appreciated. Links are especially helpful. I'm doing websearches, but not finding a lot of hits for the dwarf eels.

I'm not much help here, actually, I'm no help...

I just wanted to say "YEA!!" Glad he's finally eating for you!!

Found it..

According to Scott Michael in Reef Fishes, Volume 1:

"It is also important not to feed your moray too frequently. Overfeeding can lead to fatty infiltration of the liver, which impairs its functioning. It is not uncommon to see eels in public aquariums that have excessive fat deposits on the head and body, probably as a result of being overfed. Field studies suggest that morays eat infrequently. Therefore, in order to prevent this overfed condition, I recommend feeding your eel to satiation twice a week. In addition, an overfed moray may regurgitate its partially digested meal, making a mess of your tank. As previously mentioned, morays usually ingest one large meal every three or four days."</em>

Guess he had his "large meal" tonight. Hope he can wait now until Sunday!

Sally, thanks for the heads up!!

Gratz Linda :). This is a pleasant problem to deal with I imagine considering the alternative. Please get a vid up!

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it and now I'll have to reconsider my daily feeding regimen for the GDM. :sad:

Yes, but satiation means to full. So feed him heavy until he stops eating once or twice a week.

And yuo will HAVE nto get more than eggcrate, otherwise yuo will eventually find him on the florr.

I'm still not sure how he cannot be full after 7 pieces of silverside unless the pieces are minuscule.

FutureInterest;195261 wrote: I'm still not sure how he cannot be full after 7 pieces of silverside unless the pieces are minuscule.

The pieces are about 1/3 to1/2 inch long and fairly narrow. I'm going to stop by the Asian market on Spring St this weekend and get him some squid and I still have some of the shrimp. Since I know now that he'll eat more than one bite at a meal, I'm going to try different courses at one sitting to keep his diet as diversified as possible.

Might also take him out of the 90g and put him in the 29g I got from you since it has the secure lid. I sure don't want to lose this guy to the hardwoods.

Back