Jake's 1st SW Build (125 gallon)

dapperjman

Market
Reaction score
Hey!

I've been reading, researching, lurking, etc. the past 6 months so I finally decided to make a build thread. I've also been buying everything (and more) I needed during this time but have yet to put it together! That's partially because I was working on the house that I just moved into, but also because I needed some motivation I'm notoriously bad for over thinking stuff to the point that I don't act.

Anyway, this will be my first saltwater tank and because I decided to go bigger with the 120, that will make this larger than any freshwater aquarium I've ever had too. I plan to start as a FOWLR and eventually get to a mixed reef once I build some confidence up.

Below is my current equipment list:

125H gallon tank (60x18x24) with herbie overflow and angle iron stand
55 gallon sump/refugium
SRO3000INT skimmer
(2) Eheim Jager 300W heaters
3 black box LEDs (blue/whites only but I plan on modding them to add some more colors)
4 bulb T5 retrofit kit that I may use to supplement LEDs
TLF phosban 550 reactor
Vertex RX-U 1.5L reactor
Helix Max 55W UV
BRS 100GPD RODI with dual membrane
ATO
(2) Hydor 1400 powerheads + a couple others (can't remember right now)

Equipment still to purchase:
Return pump (thinking Jebao DCT12000 or Fluval SP4)
Misc plumbing parts
Additional powerheads (maybe)

Also, the stand I have is skinned with black plywood so I'm thinking I'll redo it with a stained wood color. I also plan on building a canopy since I don't currently have one. I apologize for the lack of quality pics but this is all I have so far:

http://imgur.com/67XKVQT">http://imgur.com/67XKVQT</a>

This is the tank that has since been cleaned up!

[IMG]http://imgur.com/UAHhZfj">http://imgur.com/UAHhZfj</a>

The black skinned stand that will be redone.

[IMG]http://imgur.com/lNkQTRX">http://imgur.com/lNkQTRX</a>

Most likely location for tank. Two things about it though: 1. There is a severe lack of outlets. 2. I'll need to brace the floor up some. I should be able to handle both those things though!

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions - this has been really fun so far!

Looking forward to seeing this come together. If you are starting as a fowlr, be careful of your fish selection. You are going to want coral before long and the fish you have may be a issue.

rdnelson99;1027538 wrote: Looking forward to seeing this come together. If you are starting as a fowlr, be careful of your fish selection. You are going to want coral before long and the fish you have may be a issue.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. The handful of fish I'm thinking about getting are reef safe I believe.

Good luck with the build!

For future reference, post your photos like this:

http://imgur.com/67XKVQT[/img ]

Use the imger direct link and remove the space before the last bracket and you will be good to go. Or you can use the reddit link. That's the easier route.

Crew;1027584 wrote: Good luck with the build!

For future reference, post your photos like this:

http://imgur.com/67XKVQT[/img ]

Use the imger direct link and remove the space before the last bracket and you will be good to go. Or you can use the reddit link. That's the easier route.[/QUOTE]
Great, thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Also, I didn't say this but it's probably obvious from my tank picture - this is a budget build and half of everything I have I bought used! It has definitely saved some costs.

As far as a return pump, I'll be running both reactors and a UV off of it. Does anyone have a recommendation between the new jebao DCT pumps or throttling back a Fluval SP4?

I have the Jebao RW-8's and they are incredible. I've heard nothing but good things for the return pumps, so I imagine that would be a good route to go down. If I hadn't gotten such a good deal on my Reef Octopus DC, I would have gone Jebao for the return as well.

I love my Jebao DC return. I was sold on Quiet One pumps but would choose a DC pump now over just about anything.

rdnelson99;1027636 wrote: I love my Jebao DC return. I was sold on Quiet One pumps but would choose a DC pump now over just about anything.

I have had one since November and haven't used it... Can't wait!

Update:

OK, this is a placeholder for when I can post some pics tonight. My equipment list has also changed slightly because I ran into an awesome deal and couldn't stop myself.

Return: Jebao DCT 12000
Main lighting: 3 Kessil A360W with controller
Main powerheads: 2 MP40QD

I reinforced my stand slightly and started skinning it with birch plywood so hopefully it comes out OK. I've also built the frame for the canopy and will skin it too. I'll post more details and some pics tonight.

OK to add a few pictures to the words...

I welded some "gussets" to my stand to help with support. I'm sure it was probably overkill, but I feel better. My dad kept mentioning that if he had a welder it would be so easy to do, so I got the hint and at the first mention of me paying half he agreed. So we now own a Hobart welder :) This was my second time ever welding something, so it's not pretty but it's not going anywhere. This is the stand flipped upside down.

RXFswEll.jpg
alt="" />

I also cut the existing side supports out and moved them up a few inches. This will allow the 55gal sump I have to slide in from the side. Before, the stand had to be lifted off of the sump :yuk: so this is definitely an improvement. You can see both the old and new support in the picture. The old one on top was just cut out after the new one on bottom went in. The stand is still upside down ;)

CCH0ih8l.jpg
alt="" />

I sprayed some paint over everything to protect and make it look a little better. I hadn't done the bottom yet at the time of this picture.

7nAJrSnl.jpg
alt="" />

I also bought some 1x2s and made the frame for the canopy. I plan on having the front door on a piano hinge so it can just lift up and rest on the rest of the canopy. This will be skinned in birch.

KMLlEXFl.jpg
alt="" />

And finally, my main concern, skinning the stand in birch. I initially was going to make the 3 sides so that they would just slide against the stand with magnets. Then I thought about using the magnets, but attaching trim to the front piece and not actually attaching the sides to the front. This would give the illusion of it all being one piece but would make it much easier to remove if needed. I'm still thinking on that one, but either way it will be skinned in birch and stained and sealed. I've measured and cut a few pieces since this picture, but that's it :)

nyYpsWUl.jpg
alt="" />

Since my last post in April, I've gotten engaged! So this build is about to kick in to overdrive because I need to finish it before I have no...funds ;)

I'd love feedback - what looks good and what doesn't? Please let me know if you see me heading towards trouble. Thanks for reading!

Update:

I skinned the canopy with the birch and created a "clam shell" type lid with a piano hinge. I will add some shocks to it to help with opening it and keeping it open. If anyone has any recommendations, that'd be awesome.

pCDql1Cl.jpg
alt="" />
EwCdzCWl.jpg
alt="" />
hyqDInzl.jpg
alt="" />

Also was able to skin the bottom and I ended up using magnets to hold the three sides onto the frame. I marked off doors, but I have not cut those out yet.

RgZbPI0l.jpg
alt="" />

I purchased some maple that I am making the trim and doors out of. I am going to attempt to make raised panel doors, so we will see how that goes....stay tuned.

I also tried throwing together some rock to get my aquascape going...this picture sucks, but at least I started. I definitely need to add some more rock, but I want to try and get away with a minimalistic look.

e58fgBB.jpg
alt="" />

I went ahead and ordered the Jecod DCT12000 for my pump and bought some plumbing for my manifold. I also purchased some GFCI outlets, so the next step is to finish this stand and install a new circuit for the two aquarium outlets. I am always open to comments or questions, thanks for reading! :yes:

Ok...update:

All of the rain back in Dec. flooded the shop where my stand in progress was at. Needless to say, a lot of the wood was ruined and I had to throw it out. It's really frustrating especially after all of the hours I put in to it. I pushed this project to the side, and started looking for a pre-built stand. Recently though I have decided that I am going to finish it, I can't let this thing whoop me ;)

I salvaged what maple I had bought and went ahead and finished the raised panel doors. These are the first doors I've ever made...and probably the last! They are definitely rough around the edges but I am going to do a little sanding and when stained I think they will look OK :)

FPle1Gfl.jpg
alt="" />

I've also sketched out my plan for making the trim from the maple and I should have enough wood. Once I get it roughly cut down I will re-purchase some birch ply and try to knock this thing out!

I got the doors glued up last night!

Also, a few weeks ago I put all of my rock (used rock, but I used muriatic acid on it first) into a 30g plastic container with saltwater and set up a heater and powerheads so that I could start it cycling. I just tested again tonight and I'm starting to build nitrates up now, but I tested for phosphates and it was 0.73ppm. I assume it is leaching from the rock and I'm not sure the best way to handle it.

Do I just do water changes and hope it eventually drops down to a better level? Can I use GFO or something else? I am not planning on putting it in the tank with it that high; I can only imagine the algae issues.

Doing great! I would start doing regular water changes on the Rock and monitor the PO4.

Back