Janelle's 60 Cube

Added a couple of Peppermint Shrimp - haven't seen them since but I did see a molt on the sand bed yesterday. Got some Aiptasia X as well (I like that stuff). I think as a result of Benny the Blenny, the Tang or an urchin, every last bit of hair algae is gone (I had it between the Green Star Polyp like crazy).

I feel like things "even out" with every week that passes. Now if I can figure out how not not have to rebalance the tank every time I change a filter sock every couple of days...

I have a Rio (Mag wouldn't fit in the sump) and I adjust that. Also have a ball valve from the return and it just takes a "hair" of a turn. I think this weekend, I'll finally implement the external Durso that I bought supplies for awhile ago. It's mostly that the filter must slow the flow as it gets dirty. After changing, I get that sucking sound out of my overflow because the water is flowing faster.

Sprung for a second Orbit light fixture this week. Came in today and I am interested to see what they look like during their normal program. Everything was doing "fine" with one but I know that have two across the top on of a 24" x 24" will be more even for everything in the tank.

Here's the tank with the new lights on full. Pic doesn't do it justice though because I think it looks like "alien autopsy" - a little too white. Everything is loving it though. The Duncan's are coloring up. Mushrooms are having a blast.

Tank shot -

File%20Jul%2019%206%2054%2039%20AM_zpsmomfmdf3.jpeg
alt="" />

Duncans and Frogspawn seem very happy -

File%20Jul%2018%207%2001%2054%20AM_zpscarpur2o.jpeg
alt="" />

File%20Jul%2018%207%2000%2043%20AM_zpsow005qys.jpeg
alt="" />

Trumpet grows and shrinks and is the Clown's favorite. However, I think this may eventually go to a new home because it takes up so much of the tank.

File%20Jul%2018%207%2001%2008%20AM_zpsjai1pn9j.jpeg
alt="" />

Updates for the week -

Installed my JBJ Auto Top Off last night. Can't help but be a little paranoid about flooding. The stories I've heard usually have something to do with not cleaning the float valves but sometimes it's just a misfire. This unit was pretty much the first piece of equipment I bought, along with a heater. I've heard better reviews of Smart ATO. We shall see.

I also figured out how to set up my iPad Mini as a camera and using the "Presence" app, I can check in from work and see, well, not a whole lot going on. Mr. Tang does his acrobatics. Picture quality is a little sketchy but maybe I'll see that Nem when it finally climbs its way out of my rock stack!

New sump - so happy! It has a built in fuge. It's an Eshopps Gen 3 R200 Refugium.

Getting this 30" long sump into my 24" stand was a challenge but it's working.

CCFAA113-BDB2-4D06-B8A7-91933E70B98C_zpsdiupbo0p.jpg
alt="" />

DF1DA4A8-26BB-4DCF-A2B0-8FD09BC231ED_zpsfq7bhxbt.jpg
alt="" />

Catgirl29;1053061 wrote: I have but this week has been so busy! Thanks very much - they look great.

thanks, looking forward to seeing the update of them in your build thread.

Things are going well in the 60. I think my nutrients are always too high but the softies love it.

1E5C4CB2-B7E1-4CA2-8B3C-31DD10C38690_zpsmvwpxvnu.jpg
alt="" />

33945D18-CFEA-4091-8FC0-3AB9B377CF6A_zpsdpqqcr3y.jpg
alt="" />

Looking awesome! Those coral look fat and happy!

How are you liking the sump now that you have used it for a little while?

Jakub

I love it but I have to make sure that the plastic rim of the sock I'm using is sitting flush against the acrylic "sock shelf/holder". The water is routed over a lip before going into the sock and if it's not flush, there is a lot of dripping noise. It's nice and big though. Got a decent-sized skimmer and reactor pump in one chamber. Plenty of space in the return pump chamber too. My macro is going crazy in the fuge.

Catgirl29;1063481 wrote: I love it but I have to make sure that the plastic rim of the sock I'm using is sitting flush against the acrylic "sock shelf/holder". The water is routed over a lip before going into the sock and if it's not flush, there is a lot of dripping noise. It's nice and big though. Got a decent-sized skimmer and reactor pump in one chamber. Plenty of space in the return pump chamber too. My macro is going crazy in the fuge.

Good to hear! I started stocking them a little while ago and have been looking for some feed back on them.

As far as the socks sitting flush... might want to try putting a small piece of live rock in the sock to weight it down and keep it in the proper position. The Redsea Reefer sumps have socks that "snap" into place with a similar overflow design. Hopefully more manufactures in the future will pick up that idea.

Jakub

Back