Just came home to a flooded basement

Well I haven't picked up the shop vac yet so I stayed up till 2am stomping on towels and then squeezing the water out into the bathtub. I'm off to work now so the fans are blowing, ventilation is open. I can't wait to stay up late again with the shop vac tonight

0327092sham1.jpg
alt="" />

Shamwow guy *after* flood disaster....

shamwow.jpg
alt="" />

Hate to be funny in such a horrible post.....but that pic reminds me of Ace's signature picture for some reason

member.php

I didnt read the whole post so I dont know if Im repating anything here.

Pull the carpet, pull the pad up and throw it out because it is ruined.

Shop vac the carpet, vacuum the water and get everything as dry.

You will be well served to have any type of fan moving the air and I recommend a dehumidifier as well.

Carpet is very tough and it will be ok but the pad will need to be replaced.

A dehumidifier is paramount in this situation. You can blow it around all you like with fans, but you need to pull it out of the air with a dehumidifier. You may be able to rent one a commercial one at home depot or lowes.

dmahoney82;361252 wrote: Does anybody have any of those industrial fans to dry out my carpet.

Been there several times. I have a blower fan if you need it. Located in Alpharetta

Dwight

I'm in the hotel business. Unfortunatly we have this problem alot. Not usually from fish tanks, but people who think sprinkler heads are for hanging cloths, doing gymnastics, you name it. You need to get all the furniture up and probably clean the part touching the carpet due to the salt water. Also, pull up the carpet and pad. Throw away the pad and clean the carpet thoroughly with fresh water through a carpet cleaner. Use fans for circulation and get a dehumidifyer. We use high end industrial strenght ones and it takes a week to dry out the room, especially if it got to any drywall. Your biggest risk is mold. You want to spend the money now and get it dried properly otherwise, you'll be spending a lot more in the future stripping the room down to the studs, killing off the mold and completely rebuilding.

Had a similar thing happen to me. One of my lines on my RO/DI unit popped of and it ran for hours before I noticed it. Did the shop vac thing and ran large fans on it for 3 or 4 days until it seemed dry. A couple of weeks later, I had placed something flat on the carpet that was wet before and after about 30 minutes, it had moisture on the thing. The pad underneath never dried.

I ended up calling in the pros to get it all cleaned up. They pulled up the carpet, ran a dehumidifier, put down some anti-mildew stuff and ran the stuff over a long weekend. Cost me a couple hundred to get it all fixed up.

So yes...get that carpet pulled up so the pad can properly dry out!

I'm in the process of shop vac ing the carpet and then pulling it up. The only problem I see is the carpet the tank is sitting on. That tank is against the wall and is fully operational so there is no moving 140gallons+ all livestock. Any ideas to dry out the carpet it sits on?

I have a portable AC - that has a dehumidifyer (sp?) setting...
It works awesome and outperforms the little household ones for lengths,

PM me...

Robb

Back