Just checked my T5 PAR

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share. Many numbers are estimates, as my canopy will not close when the probe/my arm is in the tank, and we observed about a 60 PAR increase between the closed and slightly cracked position.

Tanks stats:

*140 gal: 48 x 24 x 30

*8 overdriven T5s (IC660) @ 4 months of use:
--(front)
--ATI Blue Plus
--ATI Blue Plus
--ATI Aquablue
--UVL 10k
--ATI Blue Plus
--UVL 10k
--UVL 75.25
--ATI Aquablue
--ATI Blue Plus

*Lamps are 3" off the surface of the water

*PAR:
--Between 750 - 950 at surface, depending on which lamp the sensor was under. Most following measurements were approx at center of tank (front to back)
--530 at 9"
--500 at 12"
--220 at sandbed ~26"

Yeah, it wasnt as high as I'd liked (to throw in Lees face) but I think it was acceptable. Basically all my sps is recieving 500 + with very few exceptions, so that should at least be ok. And that is after 4 months of use, so I'd really like to check again in about 2 more months. THat will be the real test.

I was actually surprised at the penetration level, too. It seems like I'm not loosing as much as I expected on a nearly 30" depth.

So, Lee, watt for watt, PAR to PAR, we are pretty close. Color wise, you def. have me beat, so I still have to figure out my spectrum combination.

My LEE unknow turned a emerald green. Pretty, but not L.E.E. pretty.

I guess it's also important to note that the overall color of the tank when the lights are all on is kinda a 12-14K look. NOt as blue as I'd like, such as when only the blueplus are on.

Rob, check out my canopy thread for info on my setup:
showthread.php

those are great numbers man...there still is talk of at what PAR corals stop using...or just becomes wasteful. Interesting to hear that it's turned green. About how much PAR is it getting? Mine was around 500-550.

It is probaby getting about 600 ish right now. It is near the top middle.

THe green is odd, huh. But the funny thing I observed is that this particulay color of green seems to be dominant in my tank. Several things have shifted to this color. I wonder if it has something to do wiht my light spectrum, or possibly the addition of my new, big skimmer.

Good numbers I must say. Looks like you won't have any problems keeping anything

It very well could be the skimmer or lights. My bulbs were "15K" more like 12 if you ask me. What is yours roughly?

Back