Just made the plunge, bought an apex today.

pbyrmartin

Market
Reaction score
I have been putting it off for too long now, so I am here making all the necessary preparation to hook it up to my tank. Got to run a network cable to my sump room and run about 80 ft of power wire to the display tank upstairs .

hope it's not too difficult to setup.

Congratulations! It's IMHO the best purchase you could ever make. My Apex has saved me time and time again. I had to make a long run with my Ethernet cable and it's well worth the tme and energy. It's makes updating so much easier.

I am trying to decide the best way to do my set up without the cost running away from me

Display up stairs sump down stairs

I need the led display by the tank

So I was thinking to get the 4 port power bar run one cable upstairs to it

Question

1. I gave some 3 wire shielded cable, could I put usb end on them, whats the pin layout, is it standard usb

2. And can the led display plug into the power bar

Bcavalli;1075170 wrote: Congratulations! It's IMHO the best purchase you could ever make. My Apex has saved me time and time again. I had to make a long run with my Ethernet cable and it's well worth the tme and energy. It's makes updating so much easier.

Thanks

Yes you can connect the disply to an Energy Bar. If you're goting to run lighting or powerheads you're going to want a EB near the dispaly tank. So you migh as well get another EB8.
As Adam said check out monoprice for the usb & cat5 cables.

Bcavalli;1075170 wrote: Congratulations! It's IMHO the best purchase you could ever make. My Apex has saved me time and time again. I had to make a long run with my Ethernet cable and it's well worth the tme and energy. It's makes updating so much easier.

Now if i could just program the stupid thing

congratz on purchase. I have two of them, one wired in via Ethernet and one via wireless adaptor. Both work fine. I have a long cat5 for updates when needed. Both are linked to fusion. If you link them to fusion you can have your control unit downstairs in your sump room and use a tablet upstairs by your display.

On the aquabus cable

I want it run it through the the walls and flooring without the usb ends on it because I want to drill very small holes
Then put the ends on

How many wires are ther in the aquabus cable ?

2 or 4

Could I get a link to the wireless adapter
Does get plug in the head unit or the EB8

found the wireless adapter

but I got lucky with the network cable, I forgot I had ran a cat5 cable through my sump room years ago.
I will just cut it puts some RJ45 ends on it and put a switch in there and run to the head unit.

I just have to worry about the aquabus cable now to the display monitor

Monoprice has aquabus cables and they are CHEAP!!! There's another site that has aquabus cables up to 100' long and they were very reasonable. If you'll do a search in the Discussion threads, I believe you will find all you want to know on cables.

pbyrmartin;1075192 wrote: On the aquabus cable

I want it run it through the the walls and flooring without the usb ends on it because I want to drill very small holes
Then put the ends on

How many wires are ther in the aquabus cable ?

2 or 4
I'd say forget the small hole thing. Makes for a difficult time fishing the wire. That and wiring up the ends of the usb cable a pita.

Two tricks for you.
1. They make gang boxes for use after walls are finished. Very handy and they give you plenty of room to fish the wire. With a cover plate it makes for a clean look when you have to put a box in a wall.

2. If you don't want to put a hole in the wall and you have full access from the basement drill through the floor. If you have carpet you can pull a section back along a wall and drill down near the nail strip.

Hope one of these works for you.

anit77;1075224 wrote: I'd say forget the small hole thing. Makes for a difficult time fishing the wire. That and wiring up the ends of the usb cable a pita.

Two tricks for you.
1. They make gang boxes for use after walls are finished. Very handy and they give you plenty of room to fish the wire. With a cover plate it makes for a clean look when you have to put a box in a wall.

2. If you don't want to put a hole in the wall and you have full access from the basement drill through the floor. If you have carpet you can pull a section back along a wall and drill down near the nail strip.

Hope one of these works for you.

I have drop ceiling in the basement and hard wood floor on the first floor
Maybe I will just drill a hole in the floor

I wouldn't drill a hole in the floor!! If you ever sell...buyers hate that. It would have to be a big hole in order to get the end through. Needless. I would drill a hole up through the wall and use a box that's made for pre-construction as was mentioned above. Simple to install and very clean. Not expensive either. When you leave you just put a solid plate over the box and done.

its a little late for the saving the floor, I had to drill for the pvc back in 2009

but thanks for the tips on the forums, I now know the different between a usb cable and the aquabus cable.

the aquabus runs at 12v and a pc cable runs at 5v and all pc cable over 15ft has a repeater in it that cant handle 12V

But what one guy did was take a 6ft usb cable cut it in half and make a 75ft cable with cat5

and I have cat5 cable

I like that idea.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I think I am ready , will be here Wednesday.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

pbyrmartin;1075248 wrote: its a little late for the saving the floor, I had to drill for the pvc back in 2009

but thanks for the tips on the forums, I now know the different between a usb cable and the aquabus cable.

the aquabus runs at 12v and a pc cable runs at 5v and all pc cable over 15ft has a repeater in it that cant handle 12V

But what one guy did was take a 6ft usb cable cut it in half and make a 75ft cable with cat5

and I have cat5 cable

I like that idea.

This should be all you need for the "aquabus" cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/5445">http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/5445</a>

They may have one 25' too.

Back