Just wow

johnr2604

Market
Reaction score
So I got my maxijet 1200's in with my sure flow mods and all I can say is WOW :eek: . These things pack a punch its like I threw a fire hose in there. Hope my anemone dosn't get mad and decide to run away from home.

Just got one for one of my leftover MJ600s. Does a nice job. Needed something in the middle of my tank inbetween the K-4's.

They were not my first choice. I am poor so I wanted lots of flow on the cheap. I definetly dont regret my descision now. I am running these with the large impeller. I might give the smaller one a try. I also run 2= k2's and 2= K1's in a 120

John I have 2 MJ1200s in my 150. Both have the mod kits on them. I am impressed with how much water they push. I am getting ready to add some more. :) I know they are the poor reefers answer to Vortex but I am a poor reefer. :)

I got mine from Tim at Keen Reef. The mod kit is about $15. I also bought the magnets to hold them in place. I forgot how much they were.

They really make a difference in flow. :)

These things have come a long long way and are the best bang for your buck by far! I remember when this mod first came out we were making our own out of PVC and model airplane parts! :) Those things looked ugly as hell but worked really well... for a few months :sad:. The nylon washers we used would wear out rather quickly.

I'm thinking about putting a few in the frag tank. How are these models in terms of noise?

Jin, mine are not the quietest piece of equipment I own. I do think there is a bit of break-in period though. I am hoping they quieten down some in time. The noise is not, however, unbearable.

I have used the Sureflow and Eco mods on MJ1200 since I set up the 160. Ths PH mods are the best economical way to give strong flow in your tank. I used the Eco mounts first but since have moved to the Sureflow magnets. Unlike the Vortecs or Tunze, if it fails and is not under warranty its only a slight fraction of the cost to replace.

I wonder how much heat they transfer to the water?

When I set uo my 140 I almost got 4 of these to use as flow, but since I was setting up a t5/chillerless system I was wary of the heat transmission. Anyone notice any significant heat with them?

can those be used on a wave maker? If so, are they noisy on start up? Or is it one of those items that can be turned off but has to be off for 15-20 minutes?

They are not recommended for wavemakers, if I remember correctly.

The transfer is very minimal....compared to other pumps that put out that much flow. Remember these are very low wattage still. As far as wave makers.....you can, but it isnt recommended. I had a few of these one the red sea max....now granted these say they have a "soft start" option. There really is no such thing as a "soft start" with ac pumps. So when they are off and then start up, the force of the start against the water really puts a lot of pressure on the prop...and I've actually had a few of these have the blades break off. So in short, just run these normal. As far as noise, mine never made noise...but on a wave maker, they did clank when starting.

Mine are not noisy at all. I dont know about the heat transfer but I dont think its gonna be a problem. I am running a clip on fan in my hood that comes on with my halides. My tank runs at 78 degrees and it takes a heater to get it there.

I have never used the sureflows untill now. I was really impressed with the flow. I had them 6 inches from the surface when I put them in and they were pulling a vortex from the suface.

Linda Lee;272604 wrote: Where do you get these mods?
Tim at keen has them but I think he was out when I looked. I ordered mine from Marine depot. They actually sell them as a bundle with the Maxi and the mod.

Back