Kalk, calcium reactor, dosing pump?

calhounreef

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm debating on going heavy sps for my new build and was just wanting to hear from some experienced members on which method you prefer for keeping parameters stable and why you prefer said method. Kalk reactor? Calcium reactor? Dosing pumps? Any and all input is appreciated =)

I purchased a calcium reactor with all intentions to use it but I just can't find space for it. I'm about to look at a new sump to make it work. I've also been looking at dosing pumps. From my readings both are great pieces of equipment. Ca Rx are a bit more set it and forget it compared to dosing if you have the right setup. Either way I think kalk will become useless in a SPS heavy tank

I am not an experienced person when it comes to "heavy sps" loads. But from my studying the same question, kalk has limitations because it raises your ph. Presumably, significant amounts of kalk to keep up with a heavy demand may lead to ph issues.

I've really been leaning towards a calcium reactor in all honesty I was just looking for some feedback, thanks for the kalk info as well, if I had ever read or heard that about kalk and ph I had forgotten it.

Heavy Sps, kalk not a primary dosing option. It's more for supplemental dosing and keeping levels stable. Calcium reactor would be your best bet. It would keep up with the high calcium depletion once you got it tuned in right. Dosing pumps is a good option once you get it tuned in right but depending on how much Ca your reef needs you could be going through it pretty fast. Many other factors also play a role in what's the best choice ie size of your tank, how often your doing water changes, quality of the salt mix your using just to name a few. Hope this helped some!

Genesis1:21;998690 wrote: Heavy Sps, kalk not a primary dosing option. It's more for supplemental dosing and keeping levels stable. Calcium reactor would be your best bet. It would keep up with the high calcium depletion once you got it tuned in right. Dosing pumps is a good option once you get it tuned in right but depending on how much Ca your reef needs you could be going through it pretty fast. Many other factors also play a role in what's the best choice ie size of your tank, how often your doing water changes, quality of the salt mix your using just to name a few. Hope this helped some!
Absolutely, and thank you! And just in case anyone was curious by the "heavy sps" I'm actually talking about mostly acropora, Love the look of an acro tank.

I've had pretty good success with dosing pump. As others have said as the sticks get bigger you will need to increase the amount you dose. I test Alk twice a week and everything else once a week. Every now and then when I notive a value begin to trend lower I just tell the pump to add another 5-10ml a day for that week. I have zero experience with a Ca reactor but they do take up some space and have to be dialed in like everything else no?

I don't have experience with anything except kalk, yet. I will say most of the best looking tanks I've seen in person that had significant amounts of SPS were all running a calcium reactor. And I only say most just in case someone was dosing 2-part and I don't want to insult them :)

Large tanks - Calcium reactors (Most cost effective choice)
Medium tanks - Dosing two-part (Most cost effective choice)

MarquiseO;998738 wrote: Large tanks - Calcium reactors (Most cost effective choice)
Medium tanks - Dosing two-part (Most cost effective choice)
I'm thinking dosing the two part might be a better option for my setup. 120 gallon

I dose Kalk and use a calcium reactor in my 465.

Some folks use Kalk instead of dosing or calcium reactors, as it provides alkalinity and calcium, but you may need to dose magnesium if your salt mix cannot keep up with demand.

I've always preferred calcium reactors, but dosing is just as viable an option.

Acroholic;998770 wrote: I dose Kalk and use a calcium reactor in my 465.

Some folks use Kalk instead of dosing or calcium reactors, as it provides alkalinity and calcium, but you may need to dose magnesium if your salt mix cannot keep up with demand.

I've always preferred calcium reactors, but dosing is just as viable an option.

Just saw your name and it have me a pretty good laugh, Acroholic!:up:

Genesis1:21;998779 wrote: Just saw your name and it have me a pretty good laugh, Acroholic!:up:

You'll be drooling instead of laughing if you ever see pictures of his tank!

On topic, I'll be going with a calcium reactor for my 60 cube. Probably overkill but as I stated earlier, the best tanks I've seen have run CR's. Now maybe it's because people that get in that deep have developed excellent husbandry habits, the have invest the $ for a CR then they're invested in other equipment, or both or something else. I've read purely anecdotal evidence on another board that the injection of CO2 might even have something to do with it. My thoughts is the CR gives the most consistent results but likely it's more experienced owners with better husbandry skills too.

RedStang;998807 wrote: You'll be drooling instead of laughing if you ever see pictures of his tank!

On topic, I'll be going with a calcium reactor for my 60 cube. Probably overkill but as I stated earlier, the best tanks I've seen have run CR's. Now maybe it's because people that get in that deep have developed excellent husbandry habits, the have invest the $ for a CR then they're invested in other equipment, or both or something else. I've read purely anecdotal evidence on another board that the injection of CO2 might even have something to do with it. My thoughts is the CR gives the most consistent results but likely it's more experienced owners with better husbandry skills too.
Yeah Dave's tank is sick (the good kind of sick lol)

RedStang;998807 wrote: You'll be drooling instead of laughing if you ever see pictures of his tank!

Yeah a calcium reactor on a 60g is overkill and baller status. You are right; stability is why these guys have nice tanks aside from age. I have read many articles as you have and the hobbyist simply have automation to keep their hands out the tank. That is a habit that most hobbyist now have an issue with. Constant tinkering and keeping hands in the tank causes issues.

I've used dosing pumps and calcium reactors. Both work great but as others have mentioned. Dosing can get expensive over time as your sticks turn into large colonies and also requires more calculated adjustments.

Once you get your calcium reactor dialed in properly, it's pretty much set and forget. Once your sticks start to grow, all you need to do is just set your PH controller to a lower end point to compensate and your set for awhile longer. I guess the same can be said about dosing pumps so it's all personal preference.

As for a calcium reactor taking up more space, I have to disagree. With a calcium reactor, you have the reactor itself and a Co2 tank. The footprint of those 2 pieces of equipment all depend on which brand you go with. Dosing pumps require you to have 3 different solutions mixed up and stored in containers/jugs. More often then not they are gallon size jugs times 3. Alk, Cal and mag. So now you have 3 gallon size jugs you need to find a place to store along with the dosing pump itself. Most time you can just double side tape the pumps somewhere and call it a day but you are still stuck with the jugs.

At the end of the day, dosing and cal reactors work great. Both take up space in and around your tank, you just have to deal with it.

The main difference, cost aside, between calcium reactors and dosing, and the factor that I think makes calcium reactors a good choice, is when you are dissolving media, you are dissolving and releasing not only bicarbonates and calcium, but also magnesium, and trace elements as they were laid down by the corals that originally took them up before they became reactor media, so you have all three: bicarbonate, calcium, and magnesium, and proper traces released in the proper proportions in a calcium reactor setup. It costs a bit more initially, but the cost evens out over a couple years. Manual dosing does not provide that in an all in one type setup, just bicarbonate and calcium.

I personally would not have any issues running a calcium reactor on a 60 gallon or even smaller setup, and don't think it means anything other than you want stability in your system. Manual or automated dosing is fine as well, but I prefer reactors for the above reasons.

Dave, about how often do you have to mess with/adjust the reactor on the big tank, and how much media is that burning through if you don't mind?

Calcium reactor FTW!

It doses EVERYTHING in the correct ratios and is a breeze to control. For the best of the best, use both the calcium reactor and kalk. I've never seen such a potent combo; amazing growth and colouration.

Depending on how you spec your reactor, you should be good to go 6 months between servicing it. The longer I can go between services, the better. But that just could be because I'm a special type of lazy!!

CalhounReef;998851 wrote: Dave, about how often do you have to mess with/adjust the reactor on the big tank, and how much media is that burning through if you don't mind?
Once you have the reactor dialed in, you don't have to do a lot to it. Main thing is to ensure a consistent flow rate of about 60 ml/ min through the reactor (give or take), then use a bubble rate of one bubble CO2 per second (50-60 per minute), then set a reactor pH set point of 6.5 or so to start, then monitor your KH according to your goals and adjust the pH set point up or down accordingly. The above settings are not in stone, but are a good starting point and what is usually recommended by reactor manufacturers as starting points as well.

Main thing is to understand the relationship between pH set point and system KH. The lower the reactor set point, the more CO2 will be bubbled into the reactor, and the more bicarbonates, Ca and Mag will be released as the media is dissolved at a faster rate, the higher the reactor set point, the opposite happens.

For example, if you want to keep a system KH of 9, and at your above settings, over a couple weeks your KH goes down to 8, then you lower the pH set point of the reactor to 6.4 from 6.5, which bubbles more CO2 into the reactor, dissolving more media and releasing more bicarbonates, thereby raising the KH of the system. If your system KH rises to 10, then you might rIse the reactor pH set point to 6.6, which means less CO2 goes into the reactor, dissolving less media and releasing less bicarbonates, thereby lowering the KH of the system.

Flow rate (effluent rate) and bubble rate can be adjusted, but the ranges I gave for those should work for most systems. I have just found it easier to mess with one parameter at a time, and reactor set point works the best, IME. Also it is better for someone new to calcium reactors to only play with one variable until you get somet experience.

But definitely know what happens chemically to your reactor, the media, and your water column in general before setting up and starting operation of a calcium reactor.

Your reactor media dissolves very slowly, and generally you should not have to refill for a couple years, or until you deplete half the media. A lot really depends on the demand of your system. SPS systems show small demand whey you have tiny frags, of course, and demand increases as they grow. Far less demand from an LPS dominant system, IME.

Main thing IME is to monitor KH, as calcium and magnesium levels usually fall in line at a properly maintained in range KH level. I keep mine at 9, with a general range of 7-12 bring the range recommended by Randy Holmes Farley. The middle of that seems a good place to be.

Edit: Raj states servicing the reactor ever 6 months. Your mileage may vary with this. I go much longer thank Raj does, but I also dose Kalk, which probably decreases the rate I dissolve reactor media.

Back