Kalk question again

jwils27

Supporting
Reaction score
so i mixed a gallon of kalk per the directions, shook it up and let the extra kalk settle to the bottom. i add this to my five gallon top off and bada boom im done for the week with my tank. So the question is, can i reuse the settled kalk at the bottom and make another batch or do i have to start all over and add some more?

Personally I add kalk to my makeup water when I do a water change (weekly) all contents are then added to my tank. My usual regiment is to add 1 heaping tablespoon of kalk to my 5 gal salt water. I have used the drip method previously and found that it was more of a headache than anything. Now I just use the above method. I may add a kalk stirrer to my setup once I have my reefkeeper2 or reefkeeper elite set up.

In addition I wouldn't try using the left over, I would just start from scratch as it's cheap enough. In the future try adding a little less and you may notice you don't have as much left over... that is if it's all added at one time.

i guess i dont understand the differnce btwn add in it all in at once and reusing the leftover. the only thing i could see is maybe the ratio of ca in mix would be off due to prior mix

As long as the old stuff stayed completely in RO water and didn't dry up, it should be ok. A kalk reactor/stirrer works off the same load of kalk for a month or more.

When I used to mix in jugs instead of a reactor, I'd just fill up the jug afterwards with more RO water and shake it up and use it the next time. After a while, you get to being able to eyeball if there's enough leftover kalk so that you don't need to add more for another batch.

I usually just top off my reactor with fresh kalk. However I do try to mix the old thats in there so there is no "channeling" effect.

Back