Kalkwasser

Gdel

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi there, I’ve been using kalkwasser (maybe last two months) in my ATO and so far all my corals seem to be fine. I have noticed that my rocks have started to show a white tinge...could this be some of the kalkwasser settling onto the rocks? My tanks has been running for 6-9 months and I’ve just started to really see coralline algae growth kick in. Should I not worry about the white tinge if everything appears to be happy?

Hi there, I’ve been using kalkwasser (maybe last two months) in my ATO and so far all my corals seem to be fine. I have noticed that my rocks have started to show a white tinge...could this be some of the kalkwasser settling onto the rocks? My tanks has been running for 6-9 months and I’ve just started to really see coralline algae growth kick in. Should I not worry about the white tinge if everything appears to be happy?
Sounds like you have some precipitation going on.

What are your parameters looking like?

Tested my water maybe 7-10 days ago but I don’t have the results on hand. My ATO does draw from the bottom but I understood that any undisolved powder should just settle out to the bottom. As long as it’s not disturbed it just sits there as a film. What I might do is cut back on the amount I’m using or maybe mix outside my ATO, and only pour the dissolved liquid into my ATO, versus mixing directly in my ATO.

My guess would be that your ato is drawing the kalk "silt" from the reservoir.
Maybe try raising your pump or intake hose a couple of inches off the bottom to see if it helps

Yes, I can try that too. I could cut a piece of PVC pipe and create a riser around my intake. That might be an easy way to fix.

I used to put egg crate in my ato bucket to help trap the kalk silt years ago.

Have you tried wafting the water on the rocks to see if the "tinge" is a coating of powder? Is circulation sufficient?

Will definitely try wafting it to see if it’s loose. Just didn’t think to do that.

Back