Kent phosphate sponge

ptreef

Market
Reaction score
Is it worth using? I'm running a fudge in the sump already

Kind of a loaded question. I assume your phosphates are high. If not then no it probably isn't worth using (honestly not trying to sound like a jerk - some people want to add stuff proactively). Are you wanting to use it in a mesh bag or a reactor? If you use a media reactor (some decent ones are pretty cheap and available on this forum used for even cheaper) a lot of people use GFO. Some use it in a mesh bag instead. I run a reactor but only have room for 1 in my stand so I prefer to use Seachem Seagel as it has carbon in it too and is spherical. Love the stuff. I also know people who swear by the Kent phospate sponge. Most of those I know use a mesh bag inside of the all in one tank filter system chambers. It all kind of depends on your setup and which road you want to go down.

Yeah thinking about it now I probably shouldn't have gotten it. Phosphates are fine, but it was so cheap It was just an impulse buy.

If you have it, go ahead and use it. Do not let it tumble, it will pulverize.

I prefer Seachem's Phosguard - it's the same stuff but it's spherical. More surface area for better contact with the water.

It will help take care of phosphate problems, but the other part of the equation is solving the problem of how phosphates are getting into the aquarium in amounts that regular water changes aren't taking care of.

Jenn

Back