Korallia nanos

jmaneyapanda

Sponsor
Reaction score
So, I am in the process of setting up my seahorse system, and have 2 Korallia nanos for the tank (I am also going to use it for frag growout). I was planning on hooking up my old Reefkeeper as a controller. So, my question is, Korallias can be put onto a wavemaker, right? I have no experience with these pumps.

sometimes. I have four in my 20 and sometimes when they are to come back on, they don't and just freeze.

They can be used but like many powerheads they can chatter at startup. I have also heard of them starting up backwards but have not expierienced it myself.

KRB;188912 wrote: sometimes. I have four in my 20 and sometimes when they are to come back on, they don't and just freeze.
LOL that too. I hear MJ's work really well on wavemakers?

Some koralias are controllable, others are not. I think the controllable ones have a different kind of plug as they plug in to
doesn't make sense :D)  Based on the racket mine make and the time that they take to get started I don't think I would recommend putting the non-controllable ones on a wavemaker.  Just my 2 pesos

So, just so were all on the same page, I am not talking about controlability, and am talking about reliable starts. The pump will just be turning on and off. If I follow, the same issue that crops up with the MJ mods will happen with these? Perhaps I will just email Korallia, because I cant imagine they havent etsablish a block to ensure the proper rotation, but maybe they havent.

Do you think that a korallia nano would be to stron in an 8 gallon biocube?

jmaneyapanda;188927 wrote: So, just so were all on the same page, I am not talking about controlability, and am talking about reliable starts. The pump will just be turning on and off. If I follow, the same issue that crops up with the MJ mods will happen with these? Perhaps I will just email Korallia, because I cant imagine they havent etsablish a block to ensure the proper rotation, but maybe they havent.

I bought two when they first came out and then another two a couple of months later. Like I said before, mine freeze on restart and the prop doesn't move at all. I have never had them go in reverse. So, maybe there is a block, but it isn't that effective so it seems

TriGa22;188929 wrote: Do you think that a korallia nano would be to stron in an 8 gallon biocube?
Depends what you got in there. They are supposedly 240 GPH, but prop driven pumps make a much gentler wide flow than impeller driven pumps.

As it turns out, they will not work on a wavemaker, so that plan is out the window. So I may be selling them off soon.

dawgdude;188936 wrote: Jeremy, I am planning on using a slightly modded mj1200. There is a mod where you cut the nozzle off the end at an angle and it greatly widens the flow. I am going to use this on my seahorse tank when I get it up and running. No issue with them starting up because its an impeller and not a prop.

Yeah, I have done that trick many many times. Actually, while we're on that issue, you dont need to cut it at an angle, just flush up to the housing. You can also drill holes on the bottom of the housing around the primary suction and it will let more water in, and subsequently out.

dawgdude;188941 wrote: Yeah I had forgotten about that part. On the Koralia subject. If you have a brand new one, clean it often (I know you love maintenance) then it should be ok starting back up. Clean ones work fine starting, my K4 that is in need of cleaning doesnt start back up now and needs a little nudge.
Korallia told me to not use them on a wavemaker. Oh well. I will just have to figure something else out.

dawgdude;188945 wrote: Spend a few hundred on the controller and controllable ones.
Or not. I would rather spalsh my hand around in the tank every now and then.

dawgdude;188948 wrote: Haha I wonder how many of those they have sold. I would rather have a Tunze.
well, they're cheap, so thats good. They look like good little pumps. As I said in my other thread, i just boached it up by not researching before I bought. Mea culpa.

Back