Kullas 50g tank build

kullas

Market
Reaction score
As per my other post I am just getting back into the hobby. I want to do a build post showing my progress. I know how everyone loves seeing posts on others tanks just like I do but this is just as much for me to keep track of what i have, how its progressing and where it may go in the future and to get feedback from other members.
What I am starting with is a 50g SC aquarium 24x24x20 rimless cube
30x12x12 20g home built glass sump
SCA 301 skimmer
Reef radiance starfire led lights
Jebao DCT 4000 DC return pump
Finnex 300w titanium heater with ink bird controller
Ro buddies rodi 50g day

So far that's what I have. I am in the process of building a stand it will be a 42x24x32 and should be done this weekend
It's going to be a fun journey.

Attachments

• 20200208_122025.jpg
    20200208_122025.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20200208_122010.jpg
    20200208_122010.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 20200207_174747.jpg
    20200207_174747.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 40
Here is a update. Stand is almost done just doors to add. The stand is well over built 9 2x4s and 2 sheets of 1/2 plywood. Sump is in and everything hooked up. All that's left is the plumbing and hanging the lights

Attachments

• Resized_20200211_171107.jpeg
    Resized_20200211_171107.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 34
Here is a update. Stand is almost done just doors to add. The stand is well over built 9 2x4s and 2 sheets of 1/2 plywood. Sump is in and everything hooked up. All that's left is the plumbing and hanging the lights
Nice....You are going to love the extra counter space on the sides of the tank.

Nice....You are going to love the extra counter space on the sides of the tank.
I built it 4ft for 2 reasons extra space and room to upgrade to a bigger tank later. I can see where extra space while water testing and feeding and such. My wife is happy with it so that makes me happy

Small update lights are hung and plumbing is done. Salt is being mixed and I will be picking up 80lbs of live rock on sat. So this weekend it should be up and running. Pls excuse the bad pic.20200212_192431.jpg

I don't have any experience with using eggcrate on the bottom of the tank but I have read some people have had issues with it becoming a nitrate factory down the road. I've seen people use cutting boards siliconed to the bottom of the tank.

I have never used it and dint use it on my other tank I had before. I dont have to use it just looked good. Any more thoughts on the egg crate in the sandbed

I would not use it. I am a bare bottom fan, nothing to clean going bare bottom.

Just wondering, what is the purpose of the eggcrate below the sand? It seems like it would make sandbed maintenance more difficult.
I have never had a frameless tank so I figured I would keep the rock off the glass. I have been doing some more reading and it does seem to be a less than ideal thought. I will be taking it out before the rock and sand goes in

I have never had a frameless tank so I figured I would keep the rock off the glass. I have been doing some more reading and it does seem to be a less than ideal thought. I will be taking it out before the rock and sand goes in

I put my rocks directly on my glass and surrounded it by sand. I can see the hesitation in doing so. I think if you're concerned, you can get some acrylic sheets to put directly under the rock?

I put my rocks directly on my glass and surrounded it by sand. I can see the hesitation in doing so. I think if you're concerned, you can get some acrylic sheets to put directly under the rock?
Thanks for your input. I think I will go your route and place the rocks and put the sand around it. I didn't know if there was a difference in a framed tank or a frameless tank.

Thanks for your input. I think I will go your route and place the rocks and put the sand around it. I didn't know if there was a difference in a framed tank or a frameless tank.
That's what I have done with the two systems that I've had and I've had both types of tanks.

Big update today
Egg crate is out, rock is in, sand is in and the pumps heater and skimmer is all on. Skimmer is turned way down to prevent overflow. I added bio spiral and the classifier that came with the live sand. The rock is live rock from Angel here on ARC and a couple pieces from premier aquatic that has some coraline algae on it. Now the wait begins. 20200215_120315.jpg20200215_122729.jpg20200215_123458.jpg20200215_161841.jpg

Well tomorrow will be a week. I have been phantom feeding all week. This morning I checked I'm at 78 degrees the ammonia was reeding 0 the nitrite was 0 and the nitrate was almost 0. I did a partial water change of 10 gallons so I could top off a 10g QT tank. The QT is set up and running. I'm using a small hob filter and a sponge filter. I'm planning on picking up a fish on Saturday. So far so good.

Back