LED wiring question

lilrobb

Market
Reaction score
So I found this picture online and it really helped me electronics noob to understand how to wire my boatload of LEDs:

allwiring.jpg
alt="" />

HOWEVER, there is one thing that doesn't let me sleep at night.
Ig I wire the LEDs inline - won't just one bad LED take out the entire strain?

Robb

yes, but with a continuity meter you'll be able to find out which LED needs to be replaced very quickly..

If you wired multiple strings in parallel from one power supply, make sure you put a fuse (1 amp, or up to the max current for the LEDs you have) in line on each string. If one string does go out, all of the current will be pushed through the remaining strings. If the remaining strings don't have any over-current protection, and they end up taking too much current, they could get fried.

the only problem I see is how do you know which (+) output is where?
It looks wrong in the picture to me. The correct wiring would be if the white wire is going to the same buck puck as the blue wire.
Think of it like jumping rope. I need to hold both ends to do it. In this circuit the led string is the rope, and the bucks are the person.

So from the buck it should go like this:

Buck + => +led- => +led- => +led- => -Buck Sperate leds, same buck (the number of LEDs in the string depends on the driver, but hopefully you get the idea)

MorganAtlanta;641189 wrote: If you wired multiple strings in parallel from one power supply, make sure you put a fuse (1 amp, or up to the max current for the LEDs you have) in line on each string. If one string does go out, all of the current will be pushed through the remaining strings. If the remaining strings don't have any over-current protection, and they end up taking too much current, they could get fried.

I didn't scroll right to see that you were using buckpucks. Those limit current so you are okay with those without fuses.

MorganAtlanta;641264 wrote: I didn't scroll right to see that you were using buckpucks. Those limit current so you are okay with those without fuses.
I am not,
Just used a pic of the web to show the wiring...

are you going with meanwell drivers? If so, that would simplify your drawing, especially if you go constant current.

Rob,
What kind of driver are you going to use? I have been doing a lot of reading on these and have collected quite a bit of diag for different set ups. I am going with the meanwells I just got 12 in to play with to figure out the best setup for me.

the + of one goes to the - of the next one in line. the last one goes back to the driver if i remember correctly

i have done alot of reading on led set ups and how they are set up and the picture is correct and the buckpucks are what i have read the best right now. and you want a dimmable driver so you can dial down one or both colors to your liking also the 1000ma puts out a big punch on the lighting.

Back