Legalreefer's 120 build

legalreefer

Market
Reaction score
I purchased a 120 acrylic tank from a fellow ARC'er. My plan is to convert my 52gal over to it. Only problem is my 52 is covered with HA and some kind of purple slime coming out of the sand. What I am going to do is get the 120 up and running off new sand and rock. Once cycled, I am going to transfer the fish and corals from the 52 to the 120. Im going to avoid as much water transfer as possible so the HA and bacteria will not transfer with the fish and coral. After the fish and coral are out of the 52, Im going to drain athe 52 into buckets and remove all the sand. Then put all the rock and water back in, cut the lights out, cover completely for total darkness and run a canister with a UV to kill all the HA. I am open for suggestions if anyone sees flaws in my logic/plan.
Today I painted the stand white from black. Cleaned everything with water and vinegar. I have also started to mixed water for it.

blu_devl_06;358931 wrote: I am open for suggestions

May i suggest some pics of what you started with so that we may later pass judgement on your accomplishments?:unsure:

Haha! I will get them up as soon as I can figure out how to shrink the pics. They are too large to upload.

Here are a couple of pictures after I painted it. It was originally black with a canopy. I unfortunately cant used the canopy because of the ceiling is short.

http://imgplace.com/image/view/1815f02d82365f5ea6f9a5f5fec3ed67">http://imgplace.com/image/view/1815f02d82365f5ea6f9a5f5fec3ed67</a>
[IMG]http://imgplace.com/image/view/ac4cf51150f4317fcc3d9713a3bdcae1">http://imgplace.com/image/view/ac4cf51150f4317fcc3d9713a3bdcae1</a>

Its giong to be set using a megaflow sump with a Mag 12 return, and G2 skimmer with a larger pump and modded. I am going to go all T5s 8x54watts. It will have a shallow sand bed using almost course sand about 100lbs. I will run some kind of phosban reactor and a UV. The UV will only run for a few hours a day. Im also not sure what Im going to use for flow. ?Hopefully the mag 12 will give me plenty, but I might mod my powerheads (1200 and 600gph)
The live stock will consist of a foxface, bicolor blenny, lawn mower, Naso tang, anthias (not sure which ones yet) and some blue/green chromis. Corals Im not sure about either bc I will be limited with the lights. I currently have about 10 that do fine undre T5s, but no SPS of course (except my monti up high).

Give me some feedback about suggestions or concerns like over stocked. I know a lot of people will let me know the tang will be too large for a 4ft tank. But I WILL have one.

Change of plans. Im going to run 2 250w MH. and Im also going to use my canopy which is drying as we speak!

This is what it looked like this afternoon after many trash cans of mixed OR/DI water and one door! Hopefully tomorrow I will finish up the long grueling process of waiting for water.

686657bbf8fad447da43fb8991a5b88b.jpg.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I thought the same about the Mag 12 being to large for the return. Im not so sure that the overflow will even allow for that much water to drain through the bulkhead. Thanks for the heads up! Im sure someone out there would be willing to do a trade on a mag 7 or 9.5 for my 12.

My mag 5 that I currently have might jsut cut it! I can use the mag 12 to mix salt. I am planning on using my power heads for flow and I might mod them. Thanks for getting me on the right track!

I will definitly use the mag 5. What DawgDude said make a lot of sense about not having time to filter through the sump at 1200gph.
Now I just need to find some sand. I am wanting Pink Figi sand, or I might go with a mixture of regular non-live sand and regular color live sand (which would be a bit cheaper). Any suggestions where to get the lowest cost sand?

Does anyone know where to get large grain Pink Figi?
What is anyone's thoughts on mixing Pink Figi and non-live agronite(sp) sand?
Im at a lose as what I want to do with sand. I know of a couple sponsors that will give me 20% off.

I wish I had seen this earlier. I did go with 40lbs nonlive and 50lbs live. I guess its all Pink Figi. I just added the live to the tank and I am about to wash my nonlive.

I am in need of a 30g or 20g long. All my sump ideas failed.

Whats the best way to cut acrylic?

I figured away to make a 20g, a 5g Eclipse and a 10g all work together instead of using the acrylic one I have that cant house a refugium. Thanks!!

I found my DIY sump on the 52 sprung a leak and know I am cleaning the skimmer and return from it and start the filtration on the 120. I added the sand and got my MH lights wired as well today. After a trip to the HD, I should have most everything going.

Haha. I'll bet it will only take one!! Im decent at plumbin. I did my last one in one trip.

I probably just jinxes myself :doh:

blu_devl_06;362786 wrote: I always need another trip to the HD, even when I don't!!:confused2:

Haha. I hope the second trip is only to return what was not needed.

Well I found a 38g tank Im turning into a sump. I am going to pick up the baffles tomorrow. Its going to be a weird setup, but im hoping it will work. I will get some pictures up of it later.

Well I havent really done anything to the tank in the last week because I ve been in Florida for vacation and fishing. But hopefully I will get the sump finished up. I will get pictures up as soon as I get some.

As far as removing the HA from my rock that Im going to transfer into the 120, Im going to stick it in a 22g rubbermaid with a SeaClone 125 skimmer. Im going to make up a fresh batch of water for it and pick off all the HA as possible. I might try out the Kent M Magnesium in it.

Back