Let's Talk About...

Yeah mine are a good 2 inches already, was thinking they'd probably top out in the 4-5 range

If you can't have a harem of flame wrasses, lyretails are the next best thing. Very colorful.

And, *yes* to a secure lid. We had a male leap when our school was in quarantine. Luckily, I was right there and quickly returned him to the tank.

Could be all those females were PMS'ing at the same time and he figured a quick death on the floor was better than the alternative.

:blush:

They'll get to 4-5 inches. And Mike, I didn't know about the odd thing. It happens. You just have to get another. I can get one for you monday morning and bring it down maybe. I don't have much to do.

Now that's service! haha

IMO, I wouldnt do 5 lyretails in a 60 gallon. While they are shoaling finish, they are also brutal in establishing a heirarchy. In a 3 foot tank (which I presume this is), I would guess they would slowly be killed off. Or quickly killed off.

I did see your tank Friday! It looks sweet! It looked so good, he's gonna make me one, too!

Yeah I just googled the scientific name and found a reefkeeping article and saw there size so back to 3.

Seedless Reefer;334471 wrote: Anthias should be in odd group numbers....3, 5 , 7, 1601

Just curious- why is this? Ive heard this over the years, but have never heard a reasonable explanation at all.

Mockery;334670 wrote: Yeah I just googled the scientific name and found a reefkeeping article and saw there size so back to 3.

Bear in mind, there is a recent "clarification" in their taxonomy. Here is a good explanation:

There are numerous species of marine fishes that have a broad range across the world. The Lyretail Anthias is one such fish that can be found throughout the Central and South Pacific Ocean, Indonesia and Philippines, and in the Indian Ocean and up to the Red Sea. Although the females of these fish from around the world look very similar, with slight variation in the hue of their orange coloration, males from these three distinct regions look different. For this reason some marine biologists and taxonomists have segregated these fishes from each region. All three of the fish listed below can be found in the two books listed below:

<u>Basslets Hamlets and their Relatives, A Comprehensive Guide to Selected Serranidae and Plesiopidae</u>- Rudie H. Kuiter, TMC Publishing 2004.

<u>World Atlas of Marine Fishes</u>- Rudie H Kuiter, Helmut Debelius, IKAN Publishing 2006.

Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias- Pseudanthias squamipinnis</em>- Formerly Serranus (Anthias) squamipinnis</em>, Peters, 1855.

These fish are prevalent in the Indian Ocean from the East Coast of Africa, up to the Red Sea and over to Maldives and Sri Lanka. Males of this species have a long filament off of the first dorsal spine, deep lunate tail, and are vivid purple/red coloration with yellow and orange on their sides.

Indonesian Lyretail Anthias- Pseudanthias cheirospilos</em>- Formerly Anthias cheirospilos</em>, Bleeker, 1857.

These fish are prevalent in both Indonesia and the Philippines, Males of this species are reddish/purple with yellow outlining their scales in the sides of the fish back to the caudal peduncle, a bluish anal fin, and a blue outline on the edge of the caudal fin which is more truncated that their Indian Ocean counterpart.

Fiji Lyretail Anthias- Pseudanthias cf cheirospilos</em>- Broken out from Anthias cheirospilos</em> with the abbreviation cf which stand for resembles or looks like, and appears to be an undescribed species.

These fish are abundant in the Coral Sea, Papua New Guinea, and over to the Central and South Pacific. Males are mostly purple, and young males have a yellow anal fin, and the entire caudal fin is blue, and not as deeply lunate as their Indonesian counterpart. These fish lack the yellow markings or spots on their sides.

The care for all of these fishes listed above is identical. They require a large aquarium with plenty of swimming space, and frequent feedings of meaty foods such as enriched frozen mysis and enriched frozen brine shrimp. We feed all Anthias offered in the Divers Den section of the LiveAquaria.com web site 6-8 times per day.

Thanks for that Jeremy, I had googled Pseudanthias squamipinnis, </em>so I will try the others and see what i come up with.

jmaneyapanda;334672 wrote: Just curious- why is this? Ive heard this over the years, but have never heard a reasonable explanation at all.

Well sir I will tell you EXACTLY why!

Because I have heard this over the years even though there has been no reasonable explanation at all!

Unforunately, this is what I thought. IME and IMO, this is kinda nonsense. I have had 4 anthias togtehr for years. I dont think fish can count.

Colin, you might consider Bartletts or even Long fin Anthias. IME they have remianed somewhat smaller. I no longer base fish size on what the books say. example I have Ralphs old Royal Gramma and he is pushing 5 inches.:wow2:

Fish Scales2;334850 wrote: Colin, you might consider Bartletts or even Long fin Anthias. IME they have remianed somewhat smaller. I no longer base fish size on what the books say. example I have Ralphs old Royal Gramma and he is pushing 5 inches.:wow2:

Chris, the Bartletts have just a little to passive color for me. I'm looking for bright and vibrant colors! Now those Longfin, those are pretty freaking awesome!!

Fish Scales2;334850 wrote: Colin, you might consider Bartletts or even Long fin Anthias. IME they have remianed somewhat smaller. I no longer base fish size on what the books say. example I have Ralphs old Royal Gramma and he is pushing 5 inches.:wow2:

What species are "long finned anthias"?

Bartleets are a VERY good choice, and will be just as colorful as many lyretails. I highly suggest them. IMO, they do better than lyretails on the whole.

Pseudanthias ventralis ventralis
imgres
alt="" /></a>

Fish Scales2;334905 wrote: Pseudanthias ventralis ventralis
imgres
alt="" /></a>

eehh, very hardly an easy to keep anthias species. They do poorly very often. Deeper water, very shy. If you do it, dont add any aggressive eaters or other intimidating fish.

Yeah, as Jeremy said, don't plan to do any other fish at all. Since it is sohard to get them eating. Any other fish that will be more eager for the food will cause the fish stress and it will die. Species only IMO.

Mockery;334886 wrote: Now those Longfin, those are pretty freaking awesome!!

One of the most difficult anthias to keep however and one of the most expensive.

Jeremy, I love guidance like that, I do not want to steer in the wrong direction for sure. Is it your opinion that these guys are best left in there natural habitat. Any other Anthia's that stay around 3"

Back