leveling the floor

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
the place in the garage where I would like the QT tank to be isn't exactly leveled. as a matter of fact, when I have the QT tank against the wall, I need at least 3 shims that you buy from the big box stores in order to somewhat level the front 2 supporting posts. any idea how I can combat this issue?

should I be concerned with the middle section of the stand? since it's almost "free floating" without much support. I'm afraid that the stand will collapse because of the uneven floor.

ok, the tank is 20x20x18. so around 30 gallon.

theses are the pictures. last one shows the 3 shims that were used and still not leveled
758baef48240590d5b01897b92653300.jpg
alt="" />
d3c4bfd32cf540059b99063555db467d.jpg
alt="" />

That is pretty typical of a garage floor and is actually how I would have my garage poured . The slope in a garage should always slop away from your walls. Snow, ice, rain, wash water then drains away from the walls. That said I would not at all be concerned about the middle portion. Shim the corners and let it fly. If the shims are the same on each corner then just cut a strip of wood that size and run it left to right across the front You could turn the stand up side down and then tack that to the bottom of the stand.

grouper therapy;1068351 wrote: That is pretty typical of a garage floor and is actually how I would have my garage poured . The slope in a garage should always slop away from your walls. Snow, ice, rain, wash water then drains away from the walls. That said I would not at all be concerned about the middle portion. Shim the corners and let it fly. If the shims are the same on each corner then just cut a strip of wood that size and run it left to right across the front You could turn the stand up side down and then tack that to the bottom of the stand.
yup, totally understand why the floor is that way. just not sure if it's ready for fish tank? or is it the other way around? anyways, shims are good enough?

grouper therapy;1068351 wrote: that is pretty typical of a garage floor and is actually how i would have my garage poured . The slope in a garage should always slop away from your walls. Snow, ice, rain, wash water then drains away from the walls. That said i would not at all be concerned about the middle portion. Shim the corners and let it fly. If the shims are the same on each corner then just cut a strip of wood that size and run it left to right across the front you could turn the stand up side down and then tack that to the bottom of the stand.

+1

hzheng33;1068352 wrote: yup, totally understand why the floor is that way. just not sure if it's ready for fish tank? or is it the other way around? anyways, shims are good enough?
I think I would cut the strip like I mentioned and tack it. I would be nervous about shims getting moved/kicked especially in the garage.

i shimmed the stand for my 180g dt. my set up is definitely a little different than yours but they hold close to 1500 lbs just fine. but if you're worried you could probably waterproof a piece of plywood or something. cut to match its footprint ans set the stand on it and shim up underneath plywood.

Back