Lifespan of Silicone on AGA

rbredding

Market
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what the lifespan of silicone is for an all glass aquarium?

I've got one that's probably at least 10 years old and I'm getting ready to set it up..

Should I go ahead and re-silicone the whole thing?

Has anyone ever done this before (do you remove literally all of the silicone and start over from scratch or do you just cut the exposed silicone back and then re-apply)
??
Thanks for any advice..

Had a 90G AGA from '98 until this past January - 10 years. Broken down multiple times and moved (once to Texas, and then back to ATL a few years later). Never had a single leak and never did a single thing to the seals.

Anyone know the cost to resilicone? Like from a sponsor? I'm trying to decide if I want black silicone...

AGA 30 long........

Hauled it around as I moved, resetting it up no less than 8 times from 1988 until I sold last year. Belongs to another member now, and it's still doing fine.

I bought a 55 AGA in 1988 and ran it for about 8 years, then took it down for 2 or so, then set it back up when I moved here in 2000. Took it down in about 2004 - it's in my garage. I'd fill it back in in a heartbeat - no concerns here.

And we've completely stripped out and resealed *other* tanks - the 75s we have in the shop we bought used from another store and somebody had scraped the devil out of the silicone so we re-did them all. As Cliff said - GE Silicone 1 Rubber silicone for windows and a caulking gun. We also mask either side of the seams to make clean lines - remove the tape as soon as you've smoothed the silicone. All old silicone has to be removed first, and the surfaces cleaned with either acetone or alcohol prior to resealing also.

But if the tank ain't broke, don't fix it. Leak test it before you use it - but it should be fine if the silcone is intact.

Jenn

cool...

first thing I did was fill it (when I got it)

I'd really like to have black silicone, but with all the other things I've got to do to get the tank up and running, I'd rather not mess with it..

there is a tiny bit of peeling "here and there" at the edges of the joints, but I believe it to be because the silicone is so thin in those areas..

I just read a story about "blowing a seam" and the thought of that scares the crap out of me..

The one I am using now is one I got in 1991 and has been through 4 moves and fresh and salt..... It is a 55 that I have not been nice to...

Jason

Oh, and back when God was just a baby.......

When Tropi-Aquarium was remodling their store, I bought a (what looked to be ancient) 55 gallon tank. Used it, moved it and used it some more. The last time I sat it up was in 1996 on my outside porch (Oranda GF that time) where it was exposed to the elements for 3 years, until I sold it. It still held water fine......

I posted a while ago about my 150 g that finally gave out. Bought in the 70's, seams looked stressed for a long time. Knew it was going to be time to replace it sooner or later. Later came before sooner if you know what I mean! Bought a new 215 from Creation Reef (another post)
My advise is, don't try and strip the old silicone and replace it! The tanks is the least of your expense. If you have any concerns about the seams, or if the tank is leaking, then pay the price, get a new tank and sleep well!
P.S. I worked for a major silicone mfg my whole career, so I've got some experience. Sold some of the major aquarium guys in my time!</em>
There are many posts in this forum about silicone and repairs!

Back