Light Friendly Screen Cover For Open Top Tanks-With Pics.

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
The following is a step by set how-to for making a screen lid for those of us with open top tanks. I have always liked open top tanks with hanging lights for ease of maintenance, but of course, the downside is that certain species of fish, wrasses come to mind, can jump out of the tank because they don't have the safety a canopy provides.

I have several Hawiian Flame Wrasses, and the reason I made my screen cover was for them. I had been meaning to make on for several weeks, but had not gotten around to it yet.

I'd like to thank rostato for the pic of his cover in his recent thread about jumping fish. That finally got me to go buy the materials and make mine.

So here is how to do it:

Pic 1: Shot of my AGA 210 gallon reef with open top and pendant halides. You can see the carpet surfing potential there.

Pic 2: Materials needed. For anyone that has installed or replaced screening this is a no-brainer. Buy everything at Lowes. You need the appropriate length of 5/16" screen frame, plastic screen corners, plastic screen corner pieces, .140" screening spline, and spline installation tool. You also need Bird Netting, which is used to place over bushes to keep birds from eating berries. All materials except the Bird Netting are available in the Lowes area where they sell doors and windows and glass pieces. The Bird Netting is available in the Outside Gardening section where you would find Weed Block material. Total materials cost to do my 210 was about $25.

Pic 3: This is a small square of the Bird Netting that is the actual screening material you will use. The squares are about 1/2" on a side. I used three layers of screen on mine.

Pic 4: These are the 4 sections of channel I cut for each of the three openings I made a cover for. Use the instructions on the plastic corner pieces for proper measurements. I used a hacksaw and a miter box. The pieces are simple butt end cuts. The plastic corner pieces are really handy. I determined total length of the inside lip of each section of the 210, then subtracted 1/8" so each cover would go on and off easily.

Pic 5: The corner plastic pieces slide into the channel frame. Nearly idiot proof, as they only go in one way.

Pic 6: Picture of the finished frame assembly.

Pic 7: Pic of the back of the frame. I have 4 Tunze 6105 pumps for circulation, so I used a dremel to edge out an opening on the back of each frame to allow the power cords to pass. You may or may not need to do this depending on your setup. The frame piece is still strong, even after removing that much material.

Pic 8: This is where I wrap the frame in the bird Netting until I have three layers of screen over the spline channel side of the cover. I found this Bird Netting a bit hard to work with, as it is VERY thin. The roll is 14 feet x 30 feet, so I cut a section about 30" wide x 14 feet, then just wrapped the frame in the screen. This made it easier to keep constant tension on the Netting and not have it bunch up.

Next post will finish up. Reached my Picture limit here.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
266301=14724-reef1.jpg
>
266301=14724-reef1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266301=14725-reef2.jpg
>
266301=14725-reef2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266301=14726-reef3.jpg
>
266301=14726-reef3.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef3.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266301=14727-reef4.jpg
>
266301=14727-reef4.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef4.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266301=14728-reef5.jpg
>
266301=14728-reef5.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef5.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266301=14729-reef6.jpg
>
266301=14729-reef6.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef6.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266301=14730-reef7.jpg
>
266301=14730-reef7.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef7.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266301=14731-reef8.jpg
>
266301=14731-reef8.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef8.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Pic 9: This is the screen frame fully wrapped in three layers of Bird Netting.

Pic 10: This is the wrapped screen getting ready for the spline installation. The spline material goes into the channel and holds the Bird Netting material in place. The spline tool is used to push the spline down into the channel. I found it kept the tension on the Netting best to install spline on one side of the frame, then the opposite side, then the other two sides. Some may choose to use one continuous piece of spline for the entire length of the channel. I chose to cut one piece for each side.

Pic 11: Screen frame with spline installed.

Pic 12: Trimming the excess screen material away from the frame. I used safety razor blades to trim the excess screen material. You want to work carefully, and cut on the OUTSIDE part of the spline on the side of the channel. This gives you a very clean look. This section is face down, so you don't see it anyways, but a careful trim job here allows the cover to lay down flat on the inner lip of the tank. It just looks better.

Pic 13: Close up of the middle section with cover installed.

Pic 14: Side view of all three covers installed.

I was afraid this would block a lot of light from my corals, but the Bird Netting is so thin, there is no perceptible loss in the light on the reef structure. No shadow lines, etc. I am very pleased.

Dave
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
266309=14733-reef10.jpg
>
266309=14733-reef10.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef10.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266309=14734-reef11.jpg
>
266309=14734-reef11.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef11.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266309=14735-reef12.jpg
>
266309=14735-reef12.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef12.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266309=14736-reef13.jpg
>
266309=14736-reef13.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef13.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266309=14737-reef14.jpg
>
266309=14737-reef14.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef14.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
266309=14732-reef9.jpg
>
266309=14732-reef9.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef9.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

wow thats very nice dave. i think i might have to do that for my 40.

I just made 2 for my tank. I wish this available before I attempted mine! LOL! The problems I ran into was twofold. First, homedepot only had white, so I bought Krylon black gloss spray paint. I hope this crap is ok. I waited 3 days though.
Second, I kept trying to make it two taught, so my screen kept breaking here and there. Finished product looks great though.

Using the screen channel gives it a low profile look. You want to try to make the covers look decent since it is so visible without a canopy to hide stuff. I actually looked online for clear monofilament mesh, but it was either too large a hole size or so expensive it wasn't worth it. The Bird Netting mesh is incredibly thin, like maybe .5 mm or less in thickness.
Dave

Glad you got yours done. It is super easy to do...anyone can do it. Bow fronts make it a little more interesting, but still do-able.

3 layers...must have been a pain to work with. I had a heck of a time with 2. Although mine cris-cross, I can't tell if your do or not.

Good write-up. It took me a few solid days of sifting through threads on RC to figure it out, so this is great for anyone that was needing info. I was to lazy to do a write up.

Nice! I am working on the same project this weekend. I started with only one layer though. The squares are 1/4" so I figured that was small enough. Most of my fish will be bigger ones.

James S.;266320 wrote: Nice! I am working on the same project this weekend. I started with only one layer though. The squares are 1/4" so I figured that was small enough. Most of my fish will be bigger ones.

James,
Where did you get your 1/4" hole screen from? Thanks.
Dave

You can get 1/4" hole stuff from petsmart. It is pond netting, but it is over 25 bucks... It was worth the extra hassle to just do 2 layers instead of wasting away $20.

I bought mine from pet smart it is 3/8" bird netting. I just used one layer none of my fish are that small.

Joe

so, I assume lows has black screen frames or the HD was out that I went to? DOH!

mysterybox;266369 wrote: so, I assume lows has black screen frames or the HD was out that I went to? DOH!
Screen frames are called brown, but it is dark brown. Looks almost black. I went to HD, but their frames were all bent up.
Dave

Want to make me on? LOL I might attempt this one of these days.

Thanks for the info.

Acroholic;266321 wrote: James,
Where did you get your 1/4" hole screen from? Thanks.
Dave

Home Depot. You know what maybe it is 1/2", it is basically the same size as eggcrate.. I just got done building three of the four screens.

Here are mine, with only one layer....

IMG_3836.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_3837.jpg
alt="" />

MUCH better then using eggcrate IMO

1/2" is fine if your fish are larger. Main ones of mine that could get thru 1/2" are a couple of my small female flame wrasses (3 of them), and my striped blennies (7 of them).

Only Pain with these covers is picking them up for feeding. I think I'm going to fabricate a handle of some sort.

Acroholic;266459 wrote: 1/2" is fine if your fish are larger. Main ones of mine that could get thru 1/2" are a couple of my small female flame wrasses (3 of them), and my striped blennies (7 of them).

Only Pain with these covers is picking them up for feeding. I think I'm going to fabricate a handle of some sort.

Yeah I could see it would be a pain in your situation seeing they are laying in the trim of your tank. Mine is acrylic so they are real simple to move. I plan on having small fairy wrasses also, so we will see how it works out. I will just start with the cheaper ones, like the filamented flasher wrasse I have.

Hey Dave, what do the striped blennies look like? Not sure I am familiar with those????

Back