Light Friendly Screen Cover For Open Top Tanks-With Pics.

rostato;266319 wrote: Bow fronts make it a little more interesting, but still do-able.

Really?
Is that screen channel flexible enough to bow?
Tell me more!

BASSCYN;266510 wrote: Really?
Is that screen channel flexible enough to bow?
Tell me more!

Yes it is. It is not as hard as you think, but it takes a little finness. I just used a flexable ruler and measured the length I needed using the bow of the tank.

Then cut it to the size I needed and used the top of the tank to bend it into shape. I bent the first couple ones I did because I was too impacient.

The other part that was a pain was the angle on each side of the bow in the front was alot more than 90 degrees. So I cut a slit in the corner piece and heated it up and moved it to where I needed it to be and then rapidly cooled it in water worked out pretty well.

Here is the angle
DSC01469.jpg
alt="" />

Here is my finished product
DSC01468.jpg
alt="" />

As you can see it is not perfect, butI am sure that if I had alot more time, and determination I could have made it look perfect. I honestly don't care what I looks like I just wanted it to function.

I hope that helps, if you need more info let me know. It really is easy. I never worked with any of these materialsbefore I did it and it only took me about 3 hours to do both of mine.

Oh yeah, and the area where the spline gets laid in will get squished a little, so I had to bend it back to shape with a screwdriver. Really easy though...

Here is a pic of a striped blenny, except that the yellow is more intense under halide lighting:
103_4162.jpg
alt="" />

rostato;266526 wrote: Oh yeah, and the area where the spline gets laid in will get squished a little, so I had to bend it back to shape with a screwdriver. Really easy though...

The square ones, like mine, are a piece of cake compared to this one.

Acroholic;266529 wrote: The square ones, like mine, are a piece of cake compared to this one.

Definatly. The whole time i was making mine I wass like, why did I get the bow front??? WHY??

Here is a pic of a handle I added to the front of each cover last night. Just cut up and extra glass top handle with a dab of liquid epoxy.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
266531=14744-reef15.jpg
>
266531=14744-reef15.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reef15.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Thats awesome man...Thanks!
I will definetly give that a try.

rostato;266524 wrote: Yes it is. It is not as hard as you think, but it takes a little finness. I just used a flexable ruler and measured the length I needed using the bow of the tank.

Then cut it to the size I needed and used the top of the tank to bend it into shape. I bent the first couple ones I did because I was too impacient.

The other part that was a pain was the angle on each side of the bow in the front was alot more than 90 degrees. So I cut a slit in the corner piece and heated it up and moved it to where I needed it to be and then rapidly cooled it in water worked out pretty well.

Here is the angle
DSC01469.jpg
alt="" />

Here is my finished product
DSC01468.jpg
alt="" />

As you can see it is not perfect, butI am sure that if I had alot more time, and determination I could have made it look perfect. I honestly don't care what I looks like I just wanted it to function.

I hope that helps, if you need more info let me know. It really is easy. I never worked with any of these materialsbefore I did it and it only took me about 3 hours to do both of mine.

The only reason they are not perfect is my laziness and get it done approach. I couldnt justify spending all day making it look good.

You guys know you can score this stuff in clear mesh right? In both 1/4 and 1/2 inch. The black stuff definitely blocks light. It's not a ton but is noticeable in some halide tanks. I have a lil extra of the clear stuff lying around somewhere in my storage bin if someone needs some. Prolly 86" by 3 feet or so. I can't find the thread but there were a few build threads on reefcentral on this from a few years back.

Great thread, and thanks for the step by step and the pics. HN and I will be sure to try this out in the interest of our new Yasha goby! :)

Acroholic;266374 wrote: Screen frames are called brown, but it is dark brown. Looks almost black. I went to HD, but their frames were all bent up.
Dave

Thanks!

Had to hunt this thread down after one of my new anthias jumped up through the egg crate and got a sun tan. Any way to sticky this? During my search, I also found another thread looking for this one.

Votes for sticky? We're on the way to LOWE'S

Boy, I haven't seen this thread in a while.

If anyone wants the 1/4 inch size openings, there is a source on Reef2Reef. The guy's name is jimsflies. The only way to get this stuff is to buy a really long role that costs about $200-$300. Jimsflies bought one and has been selling small quantities to folks wanting to make their own. I think a quote on mine was like $20 shipped for an AGA 210 (72" x 24").

I was lucky, in that I was able to talk a receptionist at one of the netting manufacturers to send me a sample large enough to do all my tanks!:D

Here is the link for the mesh top thread at R2R:

showthread.php

Back