Light question

dylanwright826

Market
Reaction score
I am going to build a canopy and put 2 metal halide lights in it(along with some cool led strips and stuff for effects and colors) and was wondering if someone could help with choosing the right wattage and what not for my tank. Its a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. I have a few lps in there along with some fish. Any input is appreciated.

2 250's would allow you to grow pretty much whatever you want. But 2 150 would probably suffice...

2x 250w mh se w/14k or 20k bulbs and 1x reef brite xho stripe.its a great light setup and if you up grade to a bigger tank [up to 120g]you wont have to upgrade the lights.

gacolt;1077830 wrote: 2x 250w mh se w/14k or 20k bulbs and 1x reef brite xho stripe.its a great light setup and if you up grade to a bigger tank [up to 120g]you wont have to upgrade the lights.
Whats the se in mh se ?
And xho?

dylanwright826;1077831 wrote: Whats the se in mh se ?
And xho?

Just looked up the xho
A little out of my price range..I was just going to just get a strip of led on Amazon for like 10 buck and spin it around some pvc..
Does the xho have a specific purpose?

Yea the Xho will sustain visual and help with coral growth

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The 10 dollar amazon will likely but less than half a watt leds and be over taken by a mh

dylanwright826;1077831 wrote: Whats the se in mh se ?
And xho?

Single ended bulb, there are also double ended bulbs. From what little research I've done, double ended bulbs have a great coverage than se bulbs

HQI DE bulbs (depending on brand etc) can have more par. However a DE has to have a glass between the bulb and water due to the amount of UV it emits. Also DE bulbs will need replaced more often than a SE bulb. A SE bulb can run a year without replacement if not overdriven. I like the option of growth with halides but hate the heat. I would prefer t5 over halides just to be able to tune the color. Then there is the led option. Mars Aqua make good affordable fixtures. And I've read a ton of good reviews. A step up with more control would be reef breeders. Both manufacturers use bridgelux chips. However you get a ton more control with the reef breeders.

My .02 get adjustable ballast and start with 175, 12k single end bulbs.

If this works for you like it does me, you can get away without a chiller by using fans.

Dylan, your not that far from me if you want yo look at mine, PM me.

Wow, I didn't even think about the heat output...I'm building the canopy
with an open back and plan on incorporating some fans..will two 250s cause
me to need a chiller ?

Camellia;1077905 wrote: My .02 get adjustable ballast and start with 175, 12k single end bulbs.

If this works for you like it does me, you can get away without a chiller by using fans.

Dylan, your not that far from me if you want yo look at mine, PM me.

And I'll definitely take you up on the..ma6be this weekend some time if you don't have any Easter plans

dylanwright826;1077911 wrote: And I'll definitely take you up on the..ma6be this weekend some time if you don't have any Easter plans

Sure, tomorrow morning or around 7.
My canopy has an opening in the top for a fan and I use a 4 set fan in my sump. This handles my heat but hard to say with 250W.

You may want to put screen over the back to prevent jumping fish!
PM info sent

Great idea with the screen as a couple of my fish are fire fish..I'm not gona be able to do tomorrow or Sunday actually, sorry about that..maybe you can send me pictures with descriptions?

I know LEDs are hot, but a lot of people still seem to have troubles with them. I've never seen someone have trouble grow coral with halides. You just choose a bulb, screw it in, and plug up the ballast. Boom, now you have coral growing lights. You might need fans, but with 175W bulbs it should be fine.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Back