Light Timing

cdub

Market
Reaction score
I have been having a small issue with the temperature of my tank while the daylight bulbs are on. Currently I have a 6 bulb T5 unit that has 4 blueplus bulbs and 2 6500k bulbs. I have 2 of the blueplus bulbs come on at 11am, with the midday and 2 more blueplus at 1pm. Then at 6pm the midday turn off followed by the other blueplus at 8pm.

My issue is that during the 4-6pm timeframe my tank reaches 81 degrees, while the rest of the day/night it stays around 79 degrees. I have been thinking about moving my lighting schedule back 2-4 hours so that the temperature rise of the tank is timed to be after the sun no longer shines on my garage where my sump is located. My tank currently gets some indirect ambient light from the outside through a window starting at 9am. I was wondering if there was any drawback to my tank getting this light, then an additional 9 hours of direct light.

Well sun light will heat up a tank. Have you thought about a fan over your sump while your lights are on?!? (granted it might be of little help since it will be pulling warm garage air)

You know... 81 is not all that bad. If you were saying that you were having 85+ temps then I would see a reason to worry but 81 is fine IMHO. Heck even the 2 degree difference between 79 and 81 is not bad.

Don't do anything. A 2 degree fluctuation is fine, especially in that range. If everything is doing well, don't mess with it.

Adding a fand is the cheapest option to cool the tank, but it will increase the evaporation (I hate evaporation).

Back