Lighting a 29 gallon

jballa15

Market
Reaction score
Well i have paid my dues long enough with power compacts and ready to upgrade lighting. My tank is 24'' wide and 20'' tall (I believe). I would like to use one 175 watt MH retrofit, but have two questions:

1). Is there a bulb that will not look "yellow" on its own and still give the necessary par for most corals?

2). What brand(s) should I look into?

I am looking at new fixtures, but if someone has a set up laying around please let me know. Thanks for the time even if you dont reply, John.

if you go with one 250 instead and go with a 20k bulb that will be nice colors

or you can stay with 175 and i think iwasaki make the best bulb for that kind of llight

I use a iwaki 14k 175w mh bulb and I love the color that it produces. I can keep just about any coral that I want. This is on a 29g tank with a 10g sump....I wouldnt go any higher then 175w mh personally I loose 5-7g of water a week due to heat and evap. Hope this helps.

The Iwasaki bulb is known for its great PAR rating. It rivals PAR of some good 250w bulbs. I doubt you will be disappointed if you go this route.

I've recently got 2 x 175W Iwasaki 15K on my 46 and need shades to look at my tank :shades:

Back