Lighting Advice

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on what lights to go with, I'm really on the fence on this. I'm currently running a single AI Sol Blue on my 36g tank. After the 4th I'm picking up a 90g to start building. I'm not sure I wanna stick with LED's though. I love the color and low energy used/low heat put off but I'm not sure about my coral growth, my zoas seem to do well everything else creeps on. I really have no idea because I've only ever had LED's over my tank.

For the 90g I've narrowed it down to a few options for the tank.

1) Add a second AI Sol (maybe 2 T5 retrofitted into the hood later on)

2) ATI 6x39 Powermodule (maybe add some stunner strips to the fixture)

3) Retrofit a 4bulb T5 and ~40 Cree LED's into the canopy (never done anything like this but the kits seem pretty straight forward)

I do like the idea of LED's and from what I've read, DIY LED's seem to do better than off the shelf LED's. The reason I'm not sure if I'm ready for the T5 switch is the heat byproduct and replacing bulbs every year.

If you want to increase growth the only thing that would really help is MH. I don't think adding T5 will really do anything that LEDs can't do already. I'm sure the MH guys will be on here soon enough. And snowman is the guy to talk to about the T5s. I'm sure he would be glad to answer questions you have.

I'm planning mostly LPS and zoas(may nix them though) as well as a hand full of SPS, I don't want to have to run any sort of Ca reactor but have thought about dosing in the far future.

I really don't want to run MH right now. If I decide to go full SPS I'd switch to MH.

For what you're describing, I would stick with LED's and leave your SPS in the center. You could always supplement with a few T5's if you feel like you're not getting everything you need.

I also think the off the shelf stuff has improved tons over the last few years, although it was the DIY guys paving the way for that.

HiImSean;877284 wrote: I'm planning mostly LPS and zoas(may nix them though) as well as a hand full of SPS, I don't want to have to run any sort of Ca reactor but <span style="color: Red">have thought about dosing in the far future.</span>

I really don't want to run MH right now. If I decide to go full SPS I'd switch to MH.

Maybe its the not dosing that is holding your growth back? I think you have one of the best lights on the market.

Clay4AU;877291 wrote: Maybe its the not dosing that is holding your growth back? I think you have one of the best lights on the market.

This, we'll except for your thoughts on the best light on the market lol...

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Tapatalk 2

DavidinGA;877297 wrote: This, we'll except for your thoughts on the best light on the market lol...

I said, "one of" but please enlighten me don't just laugh at my ignorance.

Clay4AU;877299 wrote: I said, "one of" but please enlighten me don't just laugh at my ignorance.

+1 I think the AI SOLs are some of the most advanced lights on the market today. I would like to know what's better also?

I agree that your lighting might not be the reason for your slower coral growth. You can get people to battle forever about which type of lighting grows certain corals faster/better, but I think everyone will agree that stable parameters within the desired ranges are absolutely required for substantial coral growth. I think you should focus more on maintaining consistent calc, alk, and mag levels, as well as keeping nitrates and phosphates at zero.
Regarding your lighting, I'd add another AI SOL and continue to enjoy all the benefits of LED lighting.

I think 90g is to small! Oh wait we're talking about lights...right, you could go either way, some swear up and down by MH which is what I will be doing on my next build, probably supplemented with LEDs so I can dial in the color. That being said I don't think there is a "right" answer. Each options have their pros and cons. If you want to be safe do a mix of LED/T5 or LED/MH and get the best of both worlds.

Curtismaximus;877281 wrote: If you want to increase growth the only thing that would really help is MH. I don't think adding T5 will really do anything that LEDs can't do already. I'm sure the MH guys will be on here soon enough. And snowman is the guy to talk to about the T5s. I'm sure he would be glad to answer questions you have.

I thought T5 had the "missing UV spectrum" that LEDs don't provide

JDavid;877313 wrote: I thought T5 had the "missing UV spectrum" that LEDs don't provide

I you talking about UV light or the purple/pink UV bulbs? Actual Ultra Violet is not visible by human eyes. They just refer to the pink bulbs as UV. If that's what you are talking about then they do have controllable LEDs that can produce just about any color.

If i good give my thought on the ho t5s.I got a 90 gal set up only with a 4 bulb sunpower .Corals are mostly sps.For the first yr they were slow going.Had 2 blue plus and 2 aqua sp ati bulbs.A yr ago changed bulbs all new bulbs with 1 coral plus and 2 blue plus and 1 aqua sp.The sps took off.Now i just changed bulbs with 2 coral plus and 2 blue plus.That gave the pop that i was looking for.And ive have seen faster growth.I will say,I have all easy sps monti and birds nest ,ect.

I'd like to see a good led t5 combo light. Sounds ideal for what you want. As far as lps I prefer led because of the color, but if I have a lot of sps I don't think you can beat a halide. I'm waiting on some full spec LEDs. Can't wait to see the results

Sean, I picked up the ATI LED Powermodule. It's a combo T5/LED fixture. You are more than welcome to swing by and have a look/see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Clay4AU;877299 wrote: I said, "one of" but please enlighten me don't just laugh at my ignorance.

Sorry didn't mean to be rude.

I would seriously look at diy or reefbreeder led before I'd buy a limited spectrum light like those...

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Tapatalk 2

I would go with a 24 inch reef breeders fixture. I cant say enough good things about them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Curtismaximus;877281 wrote: If you want to increase growth the only thing that would really help is MH. I don't think adding T5 will really do anything that LEDs can't do already. I'm sure the MH guys will be on here soon enough. And snowman is the guy to talk to about the T5s. I'm sure he would be glad to answer questions you have.

T5s will grow anything .. clams, sps... whatever.

you just need a GOOD quality unit or a very good DIY job.

There are nicer tanks, but here is mine. MOST all the corals were grown from 1" frags.
This is a 120 48" tank.
And all were grown under t5.

There are other ways, but t5 will definitely do a good job.
edudype8.jpg
alt="" />

;)

Edit:
HiImSean;877278 wrote: I'm looking for some advice on what lights to go with, I'm really on the fence on this. I'm currently running a single AI Sol Blue on my 36g tank. After the 4th I'm picking up a 90g to start building. I'm not sure I wanna stick with LED's though. I love the color and low energy used/low heat put off but I'm not sure about my coral growth, my zoas seem to do well everything else creeps on. I really have no idea because I've only ever had LED's over my tank.

For the 90g I've narrowed it down to a few options for the tank.

1) Add a second AI Sol (maybe 2 T5 retrofitted into the hood later on)

2) ATI 6x39 Powermodule (maybe add some stunner strips to the fixture)

3) Retrofit a 4bulb T5 and ~40 Cree LED's into the canopy (never done anything like this but the kits seem pretty straight forward)

I do like the idea of LED's and from what I've read, DIY LED's seem to do better than off the shelf LED's. The reason I'm not sure if I'm ready for the T5 switch is the heat byproduct and replacing bulbs every year.

sorry.. im just now really reading your op haha...

IMO you want to think T5 with some LED sups instead of LED with T5 sups.

Again, there are other ways to do it, but its just what I would do.

I THINK Reeferman, or Reefkeeper (cant remember which) has effectively had some long term growth from DIY LED.

B

Edit: oh and YES I KNOW there is algae at the bottom haha

I've also been looking at reefgeeks LET T5 retrofit 6x54 kit for the tank. Save a little cash over the ATI

Back