Lighting/algae question

It's just diatoms. No worries. Diatoms aren't worth blacking out imo.

The sponges will soon start growing and will soak up all those excess silicates. All the typical snails are good at helping with this stage as well. They will eat the diatoms and then poop it out in a form that is more easily skimmable.

I had to go down to 100u filters - then I really started exporting the brown stuff. I am now using a roller filter, but I was a huge fan of the nylon mesh-type socks, over the thick poly type. They seem to be available in smaller pore sizes and are definitely much easier to clean.

As for the UV flow, you can find recommendations out there for algae-killing rates based on your model/wattage.

I second the recommendation for a fighting conch - it will move some sand, and doesn’t need to be quarantined. Nassarius snails might help a little, though only at night. As was also mentioned, tangs aren’t going to eat this stuff (sorry I didn’t realize we were talking about diatoms when I got all frothy about adding a tang!! : ), but sand-sifting gobies will be a huge help. Adding my diamond watchman goby was a real turning point for my diatom issues.

I had to go down to 100u filters - then I really started exporting the brown stuff. I am now using a roller filter, but I was a huge fan of the nylon mesh-type socks, over the thick poly type. They seem to be available in smaller pore sizes and are definitely much easier to clean.

As for the UV flow, you can find recommendations out there for algae-killing rates based on your model/wattage.

I second the recommendation for a fighting conch - it will move some sand, and doesn’t need to be quarantined. Nassarius snails might help a little, though only at night. As was also mentioned, tangs aren’t going to eat this stuff (sorry I didn’t realize we were talking about diatoms when I got all frothy about adding a tang!! : ), but sand-sifting gobies will be a huge help. Adding my diamond watchman goby was a real turning point for my diatom issues.
Problem is do I risk putting an unquarantined goby into my tank?

No all the above will work in time, please stop the panic. This is normal.
Haha I’m not panicked!! I just hate the way it looks. As long as it is just diatom I’m fine. I worry more about growing the bad stuff and just thinking it’s diatoms

Problem is do I risk putting an unquarantined goby into my tank?

Noooo.... my too-long and not-very-well-articulated point is that the diatoms are likely going to be here for a while, long enough to get some sand-sifters through QT. : )

I TOTALLY understand how you’re feeling about it, believe me!! For the time being, you can be the sand-sifter =]

Well I feel a little better about my tank. Stopped at Petco for kitty food and got to see hair algae with tiny bubbles. Definitely not what mine looks like. Also cyano in abundance but the tanks actually looked cleaner than last time I was there.

Good!! I have noticed that many types of algae (that aren’t necessarily the super-baddies) will trap bubbles, but it’s never a good sign. Keep doing what you’re doing...

I’m late to the party here.

All I have to add is that algae (and plants) primarily use red and blue wavelengths for photosynthesis.

Blue? Yikes! I thought they liked the white, green and red
Well... white is simply all visible spectrums combined. So it would be redundant to say ‘white’ and any other visible color. Additionally, many plants and algae’s are green... so if they’re reflecting green light, then they can’t be absorbing that much of it. So you can cross out green too, based on intuition.

But intuition aside; yes, blue and red are the spectrums most utilized for photosynthesis in these groups of species.

Well... white is simply all visible spectrums combined. So it would be redundant to say ‘white’ and any other visible color. Additionally, many plants and algae’s are green... so if they’re reflecting green light, then they can’t be absorbing that much of it. So you can cross out green too, based on intuition.

But intuition aside; yes, blue and red are the spectrums most utilized for photosynthesis in these groups of species.
Dang, I’ve been keeping only the blues on hoping that would mitigate the growth. Someone else told me different. Well I did a lot of hard work today on the tank plus a water change. Not as big of a water change as I would’ve liked. Can’t figure out how to get enough water made quickly enough for a large all at once water change. My salt mixing Brute only holds 25 gallons and that is less than a 10% change but I think my salt needs to mix for several hours before stabilizing. I usually wait 24. But tonight the water looks a lot clearer and the algae isn’t immediately reforming on the glass now. But time will tell and, as I told someone else earlier “this too (ugly phase AND COVID 19) shall pass...

I could be wrong but I doubt a 100% water change would help much in the long run, this is just something that doesn't go away overnight. Vacuuming the diatoms through mechanical filters will definitely help but it takes time for your rock and sand to build up the bacteria that will stabilize things. A little daily removal and time will get you there but don't kill yourself trying to get it all day long.

Thanks for the info.
I tried to absorb it lol. I may look at the algae under my grandson’s little microscope just for fun. He is actually doing a science project based on the aquariums so this might be a good addition for him. Thanks.

Back