Lighting help - Clueless

Genesis;1039598 wrote: Serious come back lol

lol. i did come off a lil rough now that i read it. sorry bout that.

my theory is some coral do better under different lights depending on the lfs. if they are grown under halides itll take a week or so for them to adjust. much like changing a mh bulb after 9 months.

another theory could be that t5 is a flourescent bulb which subconsciously increases brain activity and why some people are tired or get a migrain after being exposed to them for extended periods of time. A greater degree of how they work is a strobe light where people have had seizures.

who knows?

generally coral will adjust to each of our unique setups or kick the bucket as a last ditch effort to say "you're not taking me alive!"

i doubt any lighting is "better" than the other, but i didnt jump on the led fence until this year when par was comparable (if not better).

I'm not sure the PAR38 products will do a great job (and neither of those two you list will have a great spectrum to show off your corals, not even the "reefing" one) - the're generally better for cube-shaped tanks unless you gang up two of them.

Another downside of the PAR38's & the Kessil is that you'd have to run open top & will need a mesh cover or something to prevent jumping fish. Which can add issues with evaporation if you don't have a top-off system or happen to be around to add fresh water a time or two a day.

I'd look at a replacement 2-tube fixture and fit it with an actinic (royal blue) and maybe "ultraviolet" (something in the 410-430nm range), using your existing LED fixture for white. Not the absolute best system out there, but effective & affordable. And maybe replace your hood with a piece of cast acrylic w/ cutouts for your equipment and some small-gauge air vent/holes drilled.

I'm pro LED as well. Ive run LEDs for 2 years on my tank (happily) and recently supplemented with t5 for extra growth and color.

BulkRate;1039613 wrote: Another downside of the PAR38's & the Kessil is that you'd have to run open top

I run my kessil's in my canopy with no issues. I have glass tank covers and the kessil's are probably 6-7" off the water.

I've seen Sherri's setup a few months back - the light's gonna have to be hanging from the ceiling or on goosenecks if she uses spots as there's no enclosed canopy to act as a hood or block the spillover lighting.

Admittedly, Kessils are purty swank. I've just never needed them as the Par38 + art-deco arm lamp lighting mine does a fine job of bleaching coral if I'm not careful. But then again, it's a shallow cube-style tank.

Sherri just a thought, but you could add another Orbit marine led. You have seen my frag tank setup with the two 48" orbit marine LED'S. I get incredible growth and color out of them. I run them at max 90% blues and 35% whites.

Some leds require work, (tuning them in).I afew months back,I almost was at a point of considering of changing my hydras to t5s.I am so glad I stuck with it.I am watching my acros grow.I was saying they are growing good or ok.Now I can say they are growing great.Im working on color of acros and they are improving with some fine tuning, also with better nutrient export. And most important i think what is helping is with my doesing, stability. If i could take good pics,would love to show.I will work on it

Bcavalli;1039668 wrote: Sherri just a thought, but you could add another Orbit marine led. You have seen my frag tank setup with the two 48" orbit marine LED'S. I get incredible growth and color out of them. I run them at max 90% blues and 35% whites.

Brett's got a good point - I know the newer Current Orbit's ramp timer & power supplies can run more than one 18-24" strip. You may want to call their customer support to see if this is possible with the model you have. Definitely cheaper than hybrid T-5HO and minimal work to get running.

OR see if their newer 18-24" Pro model (wider spectrum & controller) can also drive your existing v1 strip. (link defaults to the 48" model)http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=CU04110&child=CU04113&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=CU04113&gclid=CjwKEAjwh6SsBRCYrKHF7J3NjicSJACUxAh7_isM2wF2xYAIMqYYEl1mzH0-D3SgECECh2ajwxhNWhoCyQ_w_wcB">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=CU04110&child=CU04113&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=CU04113&gclid=CjwKEAjwh6SsBRCYrKHF7J3NjicSJACUxAh7_isM2wF2xYAIMqYYEl1mzH0-D3SgECECh2ajwxhNWhoCyQ_w_wcB</a>

A little spendy, but there's nothing that wouldn't grow and look good with that mix in a tank the size of yours.

BulkRate;1039795 wrote: Brett's got a good point - I know the newer Current Orbit's ramp timer & power supplies can run more than one 18-24" strip. You may want to call their customer support to see if this is possible with the model you have. Definitely cheaper than hybrid T-5HO and minimal work to get running.

OR see if their newer 18-24" Pro model (wider spectrum & controller) can also drive your existing v1 strip. (link defaults to the 48" model)http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=CU04110&child=CU04113&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=CU04113&gclid=CjwKEAjwh6SsBRCYrKHF7J3NjicSJACUxAh7_isM2wF2xYAIMqYYEl1mzH0-D3SgECECh2ajwxhNWhoCyQ_w_wcB">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=CU04110&child=CU04113&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=CU04113&gclid=CjwKEAjwh6SsBRCYrKHF7J3NjicSJACUxAh7_isM2wF2xYAIMqYYEl1mzH0-D3SgECECh2ajwxhNWhoCyQ_w_wcB</a>

A little spendy, but there's nothing that wouldn't grow and look good with that mix in a tank the size of yours.[/QUOTE]

bro...
i looked at that light setup.

am i the only one who thinks 1/2 watt leds are underpowered?
if im wrong fine. but i wouldnt go any lower than 2w. cree or bridglux.

heck the chinese aquamars on ebay push more wattage per led.

i could be wrong though, and there is some magic "stuff" with that led system.

Russ-IV;1039805 wrote: bro...
i looked at that light setup.

am i the only one who thinks 1/2 watt leds are underpowered?
if im wrong fine. but i wouldnt go any lower than 2w. cree or bridglux.

heck the chinese aquamars on ebay push more wattage per led.

i could be wrong though, and there is some magic "stuff" with that led system.

These LED'S are generally meant for shallow water applications of 12" or less. I have had mine running for about 9 months now. With two of these, I get better color and growth in my frag tank than I do with my Reefbreeder in my DT.

Bcavalli;1039808 wrote: These LED'S are generally meant for shallow water applications of 12" or less. I have had mine running for about 9 months now. With two of these, I get better color and growth in my frag tank than I do with my Reefbreeder in my DT.

k. long as you have experience with em.

carry on :)

Holy moly that new Current unit is crazy expensive!! This info has been great! I'm still trying to learn all the different types of lighting and watts, high out put, t5's, spectrum, 10,000k, leds.... there are so many different types then sub categories that go with the types.

scramer74;1039945 wrote: Holy moly that new Current unit is crazy expensive!! This info has been great! I'm still trying to learn all the different types of lighting and watts, high out put, t5's, spectrum, 10,000k, leds.... there are so many different types then sub categories that go with the types.

I'm right there with you Sherri! It's a lot of information and options to figure out.

If you want easy simple go with radion and u can do what ever you want and talk about amazing color !and their support is amazing if you need help with any thing call them and they will make it right!

Amant;1040085 wrote: Why not just get T5 ho and get an actinic and pink Red Sea bulb. I paid 99 bucks for one on Dr.Foster's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do have a T5 one bulb with a actinic in it. How does the pink red bulb help with bringing out the colors? That's really what I would love to get. Something that will bring out the coral colors and better shimmer would be great also. I love the Kessels for that, but way more then I can spend, and like Jeremy mentioned, I don't have a way to hang anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SnowManSnow;1039343 wrote: if you are after coral growth you will want MH or T5. That being said, LED offers a lot these days, but the trade off is growth.

prepares for the barrage haha

brandon someone needs to give you a radion to try for a few months. i would but i literally just put the first bit of saltwater in my sump and i plan on having the tank filled over the weekend so ill be needing both of the ones that i have soon

Back