Lighting my tank... What would you do???

harleyguy

Market
Reaction score
I need help deciding on how I should light my tank. The tank will be for SPS and is 60x36x26 (HxWxD). So here is what I came up with... please feel free to comment or propose something differant...

Option1:
4 MH's... either 250W or 400W (please comment on which you would do...)

4MHs.jpg
alt="" />

Option2:
6 MH's... Most likely only 250W (due to power consumption)

6MHs.jpg
alt="" />

Option3:
4MH's... either 250W or 400W (please comment on which you would do...) and 9 36" T5's

Mhsandt5Lighting.jpg
alt="" />

Option4:
12 x 60" T5s (overdriven)

12t5Lighting.jpg
alt="" />

Option5:
18 x 48" T5s (overdriven and staggered)

18t5Lighting.jpg
alt="" />

How much room will you have over the tank? How about 3 of the Lumenarc IIIs or 3 of the Lumenbrights (the large ones) and 2, 4 or 6 of the 60" T5s (might also think about using VHOs for the actinics)? The lumenbrights will need a bit more "headroom" over the tank but either should be able light up those dimension, especially since you'll have room to supplement with T5s.

Which bulb/ballast combo will you be using? Given the 26" depth, you could get away with 250s if you are going to be using a higher PAR combo. The 400s would give you more flexibilty but may limit your bulb choices somewhat.

The full T5 setup would work as well and would allow you to "customize" the color of the tank to your preference. Overdriving the bulbs with IceCaps should give you plenty of PAR given the depth of the tank.

bratliff;333714 wrote: I like option 3 best, but, I dunno if you'd need 4 MH fixtures. I'm just going with other large frag systems I've seen and they had single MH fixtures centered over the tnaks. Now, I guess maybe it'll depend on how far off the water you have the MH suspended that'll determine how many you need...

What are your plans for mounting?

This looks like it'll be an awesome set up. :D

I'm not sue 2 MH's will do the trick... they will have to cover 60"x36" and be able to penetrate 26"... I think in order to get the spread I need they would have to be way off of the water, then the par would suffer...

mufret;333719 wrote: How much room will you have over the tank? How about 3 of the Lumenarc IIIs or 3 of the Lumenbrights (the large ones) and 2, 4 or 6 of the 60" T5s (might also think about using VHOs for the actinics)? The lumenbrights will need a bit more "headroom" over the tank but either should be able light up those dimension, especially since you'll have room to supplement with T5s.

Which bulb/ballast combo will you be using? Given the 26" depth, you could get away with 250s if you are going to be using a higher PAR combo. The 400s would give you more flexibilty but may limit your bulb choices somewhat.

The full T5 setup would work as well and would allow you to "customize" the color of the tank to your preference. Overdriving the bulbs with IceCaps should give you plenty of PAR given the depth of the tank.

As for hight above the tank I'll have plenty so that really isn't a concern... As for the 3 LA or LB reflectors... How would you place them?

As for bulb Ballast combo... I was thinking if I went with 250W they would be DE driven by an electronic ballast. If I went with 400W they would be Mogul driven by an electronic ballast.

Down the the middle of the tank with T5 and/or VHOs to the front and back. It would be a tight fit side to side as the Lumenarc IIIs are 19.5" X 19.5" X 8.5" while the large Lumenbright are 20" X 20" X 9". This should still leave room to the back and front to place supplimental lighting. The large reflectors will allow better coverage back to front versus going with the minis. You might even consider only using 2 of the Lumenarcs if it gets too cramped as they are designed to light a 36" X 36" area.

bratliff;333766 wrote:
Harleyguy;333727 said:
I'm not sue 2 MH's will do the trick... they will have to cover 60"x36" and be able to penetrate 26"... I think in order to get the spread I need they would have to be way off of the water, then the par would suffer...
quote]

Actually, they're only covering 36"x36" each and have to penetrate up to 26" of water, which I don't think you'll have a problem with, esp if you go with the 400w fixtures. The amount of light you are planning would be more than enough for a frag tank let alone a "normal" display. :D Plus, you can always add fixtures later if you aren't getting the PAR you are after... selling units that aren't needed generally results in a loss...

You maeat point... something to consider...

Hi Shane,
You have your mearsurements as follows: 60x36x26 (HxWxD). Isn't your tank 60" L x 36" W x 26" H. I don't know if any of the responders based their choices on these measurements, but just wanted to let you know. I know you told me the footprint is 60" x 36". I think option 1 with four 400 watt halides or option 2 with six 250s would be best , or possibly even six 175 watters, because of the excellent light dispersion you would have with six reflectors. With 20K bulbs you wouldn't need any T5 supplementation, IMO.
Dave

I would look at how and were your rock well be. If you can just put MH over the area were the sps would be it could save a lot of money in lights and electricity.

Joe

Acroholic;333785 wrote: Hi Shane,
You have your mearsurements as follows: 60x36x26 (HxWxD). Isn't your tank 60" L x 36" W x 26" H. I don't know if any of the responders based their choices on these measurements, but just wanted to let you know. I know you told me the footprint is 60" x 36". I think option 1 with four 400 watt halides or option 2 with six 250s would be best , or possibly even six 175 watters, because of the excellent light dispersion you would have with six reflectors. With 20K bulbs you wouldn't need any T5 supplementation, IMO.
Dave

Usually when people talk about a talk the talk about length, width, and depth with depth being how tall the tank is kind of like how deep the sea is... sorry for the confusion. I like the idea of the 6 250's but man that starts getting really expensive... 6 reflectors at ~$140 each, 6 Ballasts at ~ $140 each, and 6 bulbs at ~$72 each (thanks Tim) = That's over $2100... if I went with the 18 T5's (what everyone would think would be the most expensive... I'm really only talking 18 reflectors ~ $22 each, 18 bulbs ~ $22 each, Endcaps with standoffs ~$14 a pair x 18 and 3 660's and 3 430... (I have 2 660's and 2 440's now and the used 660's go for about $110. Total... ~ $1154 and it would only be 60w's less than the 6 250's... That's why I'm having soooo much trouble with this... I want the most bang for the buch... both in equipment cost and in power usage...

Someone make this decision for me.... PLEASE!!!!:shout::shout::shout::shout::shout:

If it helps I have 60" x 24"x 24" tank and run 3 400s and have pretty full coverage from ended to end. I use lumenmax elites and have more par then I want on the bottom of the tank but just the right amount were most of the sps are.

Joe

3 400 watt halides would be plenty of light. Like Joe said I would determine where the rock work is and place accordingly .I don't think any of us could give you a definite answer with out testing how different reflectors spread light at 24" of depth beyond the 24 " width that most of us are use to.
The light may actually reach the edges of a 36" footprint at 24" depth. In my 60" long 156 tank, the light reaches the center at the very top which is 36"! I don't think it is required to cover the top of the tank with reflectors . That 's the duty of the reflector is to reflect the light down and out.

ares;333953 wrote: a reflector can absolutely spread 36" in 24" of depth.

cheaper reflectors can actually be your friend here though, less focus of the light and all that such. my reef optix III spread way more than my lumenmax elites. dimmer as a result however.

I had hoped I explained the idea well sounds like you got it.
I also can build a lumenarc style reflector in odd shape or i should say in larger on one side than the other configurations if you need them harley

grouper therapy;333957 wrote: I had hoped I explained the idea well sounds like you got it.
I also can build a lumenarc style reflector in odd shape or i should say in larger on one side than the other configurations if you need them harley

A custom reflector sounds like it might just be the ticket... I think 3 250's or 400' going across the tank might be a bit overkill, but then again I drive a car with well over 500hp... so overkill can be good... with the 3 reflectors they really don't have to spread the light to the sides a lot, they really need to spread the light from to back however... so maybe custom is king in this one...

I think I'd still like to add a couple of T5's or VHO's for dawn and dusk and to add a tad of color...

I have four vhos on mine now but I think I will use only two now for the dawn to dusk thing and remove two

ares;333978 wrote: I have 4 250w halides on mine, and 2 sets of 4x48" VHO.

I feel like the actinics are a waste aside from the dawn/dusk/gimmickphotoshoot purpose. when the halides kick on, its impossible to see, and since I went to 20k bulbs, a bit pointless as well.

when its time to scrap these VHO bulbs, Ill probably switch 4 of the 8 for some sort of 20k equivalent t5 bulb. rather more par then wasting time with actinic that I cant notice.
Good point if you are going to burn the watts you might as well get all the benefits I might have to re think my vhos (t5s)hum

Same scenario for me. I think the pfo ballast i'm running my vho are workhorse 7 ballast they should run t5 as well right?

grouper therapy;334015 wrote: Same scenario for me. I think the pfo ballast i'm running my vho are workhorse 7 ballast they should run t5 as well right?
I would assume they would... If IceCap's ballasts can do it then I would assume PFO could as well... best to check with PFO though...

grouper therapy;334015 wrote: Same scenario for me. I think the pfo ballast i'm running my vho are workhorse 7 ballast they should run t5 as well right?

The WH7 will run T5 however it will not overdrive them like the IceCaps.

What do you think of this design...

3 MH's and 6 T5's I'd rather go 250's if possible... If I did 250's it would be ~ 1350w's

3x400with6x60MH.jpg
alt="" />

I like the arrangement but I personaly would rather run 3 400s and drop back to 2 t5s.I figure if I am going to burn the watts I want the most par per watt used.

Don't need those VHOs with the helios bulbs.:D

3, 400s is not over kill if you run 20k bulbs well at least not for an sps tank.:D

Joe

grouper therapy;333972 wrote: I have four vhos on mine now but I think I will use only two now for the dawn to dusk thing and remove two

Back